Recommend computer upgrades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommend computer upgrades?

I like the MSI board the best out of those three, the Epox doesn't list that it has dual core support and the ASUS is openbox and small as noted.

The CPU is nice. Good bang for the buck

You might want to look at getting 2 of those hard drives so you can set up RAID 0 on them (nice speed increase) and maybe a little more power on the video card if you have the budget.

Make sure you get a good power supply, a lot of people overlook this but a bad PSU will make you go insaine.

Over all I like it, should perform well.

Comment

Originally posted by schaef2k
      You might want to look at getting 2 of those hard drives so you can set up RAID 0 on them (nice speed increase)
      to save money how about 2 of these?
      Buy Western Digital Blue WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

would i need anything else to set up the RAID thing? how hard is that to do? i have no experience with that

and maybe a little more power on the video card if you have the budget.
      can you recommend one since you have an idea of what my budget is and my system is now?

Make sure you get a good power supply, a lot of people overlook this but a bad PSU will make you go insaine.
      I have a 420W, do you think that will be good enough?

thanks again for everyone's input!

Comment

-NEW PROCESSOR - any intel core duo 2 that is good for u and affordable..

-NEW MOTHERBOARD - a intel core duo 2 mobo..

-NEW VIDEO CARD -witchever you want (7600gs is very nice until u upgrade again when Direct X10 comes out..)

-NEW RAM -witche ever one is affordable for you..

-NEW HARD DRIVE ( if only you find that 40gigs is good for you then dont add a new hard drive if not then get a good seagate, Western digital, Maxtor hard drive that is good for you!)

Again if you decide to pay a little more to get the intel core duo 2 you thinking long term here but if you decide to go for a AMD 3800+ your are going to be in the same position in 2 years from now and the 7600gs is a very good video card that will last you 1 2 years until direct x10 and you will be able to play all the games at High until the wait is over...

Comment

can someone explain to me what the difference between these three cards is???
          they are all sapphire x850xt cards, but three different model numbers

Buy SAPPHIRE Radeon X850XT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card 100106-RD - GPUs / Video Graphics Cards with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Buy SAPPHIRE Radeon X850XT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card 100106L with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Buy SAPPHIRE Radeon X850XT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card 100106SR-RD with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Comment

If you're willing to spend that much on a video card, I would just go with a 7600gt, which is better than those. As far as RAID 0 goes, it isn't really needed if you're just going to be playing games and using the internet.

edit: ok, my favorite 7600gt (the eVGA version) is out of stock at newegg... I'll see if it's on any other sites

As far as the processor situation goes, the 3800 should be just fine. It is slower than Intel's new Core 2 Duo processors, but it is also quite a bit cheaper, especially when you take into acccount the cheapest motherboards that support Core 2 Duo are $150, whereas AM2 boards can be found around $100.

edit2: the 7600gt I was looking for : http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...285&CatId=1560

Comment

someone explain to me how the 7600gt is better than the x850xt, they are basically the same price, but looking at hardwaresecrets.com:

for nVidia cards:

for ati cards:

the 7600 has a faster core clock speed, 560MHz vs 520MHz
              faster memory clock, 1.4GHz vs 1.08GHz
              but a worse memory interface, 128-bit vs 256-bit
              so that means the memory transfer rate for the 7600 is slower, 22.4GB/s for the 7600 vs 34.56GB/s for the x850xt
              and the x850xt has 16 pixel pipelines vs 12 for the 7600

all this sounds to me like the ati card transfers data faster than the nVidia

Comment

I can't find the reviews I used to make that suggestion, but these two will work anyways. http://it-review.net/index.php?optio...1&limitstart=1
                http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=12&page=12

The first link shows the 3DMark05 for the 7600gt and the second one shows the 3DMark05 for the x850xt. Yes, different CPUs are used, but 3DMark05 does not use multi-threading, so the difference in CPUs shouldn't make too much of a difference in the score, since both run a 2.2ghz.

Some other reasons why I prefer the 7600gt is that it supports Shader Model 3.0 (the x850xt does not), overclocks very well, and eVGA will let you overclock your card or change the cooling without voiding the warranty. eVGA also has another perk: its Step-Up program. No other companies offer such a warranty or card trade-in program.

Comment

Working...
                X