Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's official, AMD aquires ATI.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/0,,3715_141...l?redir=goBG01

On July 24, 2006, AMD and ATI announced a plan to join forces, in a transaction that will combine AMD’s technology leadership in microprocessors with ATI’s strengths in graphics, chipsets and consumer electronics. The result is a processing powerhouse: a new competitor, better equipped to drive growth, innovation and choice for its customers in commercial and mobile computing segments and in rapidly-growing consumer electronics segments. The transaction, valued at US $5.4 billion, is expected to close in Q4 2006 subject to approval by ATI shareholders, court approval, regulatory approvals and other customary closing conditions.

:rock:

Re: It's official, AMD aquires ATI.

so what will the new company be called? ATIMD? lol, anyway, thats gonna be good new for all gamers and hardware enthusiats around. can expect lots of integration between processors and graphics cards.

Comment

They are basically doing it for the chipset side of the ATI business. The CPU's and GPU's will still operate as different units but AMD cant produce a reliable chipset to compete with Intel so they looked for a company making reliable chipsets, viola, ATI.

Also, this will improve onboard graphics capability of AMD boards which will make them more attractive to mass-producers like Dell and Compaq.

Comment

Hmm, so will GeForce team up with Intel now?

I hope this doesnt make it so that one has to choose ATI solely for graphics cards. Their Crossfire technology isnt as impressive as SLI.

Comment

i agree. but who knows. amd might help ati make crossfire as powerful as sli. maybe onboard x1900xtx even?

Comment

Originally posted by Sacto_Smithers
            Hmm, so will GeForce team up with Intel now?

I hope this doesnt make it so that one has to choose ATI solely for graphics cards.
            That is exactly the thought that crossed my mind, when I first heard about this.

Comment

depends on how great ati and amd do as a team, Nvidia may look at some agreement

Comment

Crazy times. It always seemed like it was Intel and ATI vs AMD and Nvidia. Now the tabls have kinda flipped all around.

The reason why they dont do integrated graphics that powerful is because...

A. It wouldnt fit on the motherboard
                B. With a release cycle of 6 months, they want you to keep upgrading.
                C. It cheapens the value of buying one card now and an SLI board, and getting another one later when they are cheaper.

Comment

Advanced Array Micro Technologies Devices Incorpotated.

Lol.

Nvidia is not going to team up with Intel. Neither of them are in any sort of trouble financially, so for one, it would never get past the Federal Trade Commission. Plus, their relationship is not nearly as close as it would need to be for them to merge. As if that wasn't enough, Nvidia's current CEO/President/Boss/whatever would never let it happen, he wants to run the company all by himself.

The main reason for the AMD/ATI merger was, besides the obvious technology exchanging, to eventually put the GPU on the CPU die, since that's where the future is headed (and all the major players know it, CPU and GPU).

Comment

Originally posted by Flanker
                    The main reason for the AMD/ATI merger was, besides the obvious technology exchanging, to eventually put the GPU on the CPU die, since that's where the future is headed (and all the major players know it, CPU and GPU).
                    I figured the main reason for the merger was so that AMD could make it's own chipsets in-house, so then they could create all the chips you would need for a computer by themselves...

Comment

That's an advantage, yea, but on its own it's not enough to make AMD pay $5.4B for the company. AMD has long-term goals in mind.

Which is a surprise because up until a little while ago, it had nothing but short-term goals (ex. K8L). They had no plans for after that.

Comment

Would people really want a GPU on a CPU die though? Have you seen any articles on this? I think it's kinda nice to be able to upgrade GPU and CPU separately.

Comment

Yea, I've been hearing that from a lot of people, and I'll try to find out more about the advantages of such a merger.

Though I've heard it mentioned that with 1/4 of the raw power of a CPU, it would be able to execute all the tasks of a strong GPU (with the right instruction sets and modifications).

Comment

5.4 billion is one helluva a sum. i bet they got something big up their sleeves.

Comment

SHOOT!

ATI's Stock went up 20% yesterday, should have bought alot of shares...

Comment

Working...
                              X