Which chipset is better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which chipset is better?

Which chipset is better the Intel 975X or the NVIDIA nForce 4 SLI Intel Edition. I heard the nForce 4's performance on intel motherboards is not good, which is why i am stuck. I am stuck between these two:
    The nForce one
    We’re sorry, but this page does not existing. Please visit our home page for more information.

the 975X one
    Buy Foxconn 975X7AA-8EKRS2H LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

I want a motherboard that can support a
    3.8Ghz P 4 CPU
    Leadtek 7900 GTX 512mb
    2 GB RAM DDR2 667 PC2-5300

If anyone has a better mobo in mind (not more than $200) please mention it
    i am not planning on going for two SLI cards but you never know
    The motherboard should be socket T(LGA 755)

Re: Which chipset is better?

no conroe? lol

Comment

Make sure you are buying the right mobo for your PCU. At leat one of the mobo you chose are for the Conroe. Conroe use the new Intel 965 or 975X chipsets on socket LGA775 socket Motherboards, older processors like yours use the 975 chipset on LGA775 socket Motherboards. The mobo will state what chipset it is.

Comment

Old processors will work on the 965 and 975 boards as well (as long as they are socket LGA775), but I would strongly suggest getting a Core 2 Duo (Conroe) CPU. There is absolutely no reason not to if you're buying a new computer and you have the money. Seeing how you are going to get a 3.8ghz P4, which is well over $300, I'd go with an e6600 once they come in stock. The e6600 (that's a Core 2 Duo) should cost less than $350.

Comment

Change of plans... The p 4 3.8Ghz (which was only $290 btw) has been deactivated by newegg.com

This leaves me no choice but to go with AMD. I have never purchased an AMD before and have no idea what the 4000+ thing means.
          I looked around and have narrowed it down to these two:
          Buy AMD Athlon 64 4000+ - Athlon 64 San Diego Single-Core 2.4 GHz Socket 939 Processor - ADA4000BNBOX with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Buy AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ - Athlon 64 X2 Manchester Dual-Core 2.2 GHz Socket 939 89W Processor - ADA4200BVBOX with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Which one is better? I want to go with the first one but if there isnt much diffrence then the second one would cost me less and help me overall.

Comment

the X2 is dual core, and will help in multitasking but not battlefield 2 (some games in future will probably start to take advantage of the dual core)

if you get either, you probably want to get AM2, because its newer and it supports DDR2 memory what is what you have (i think)

i personally would get the X2 4200+, but its up to you, and i reccoment AM2 for your socket

Comment

Can you seriously not wait a couple of weeks for Conroe? It's said to debut this Thursday, the 27th, and does quite a bit better than AMD's current architecture...

Anywho, if you do want to go AMD, I would suggest you go with an AM2 socket processor, not 939. And definitely get an X2 series, those are AMD's dual core processors. The AM2 version of that 4200+ would be pretty nice.
              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103747

edit: Actually with those new price drops from AMD, that 4200 will be very competitive with Intel's e6300, which should be at the same price point. So the AM2 4200+ would be a very nice choice

My recommendations (assuming you haven't bought anything yet):
              Motherboard: ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2
              CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
              Memory: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM

Comment

The variety pack of course:

Comment

is it worth waiting for vista and the dx10 cards to come out before i build a new pc?

Im gonna get a 7900GTX 512mb $429. How much would that be worth if i sell it when a DX10 card comes out?

How much would a conroe cost?

Comment

Yeah, ABCD get the AM2 so you can use your current DD2 ram. If you bought the 4000+ (939 socket) you would have to by some DDR ram.

Currently there is no advantage in having dual core (unless you run a million programs at once), however in the future games and other programs will probally support it. So if you want to future proof your machine buy dual core.

Comment

This is what i have in mind so far:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ dual core
                      ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Socket AM2
                      G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB)
                      Either one Leadtek 7900 GTX or two XFX 7900 GT EXTREME
                      All the other things(case, PSU, CD drive) i already have

Which graphics card(s) would perform better?

completely off topic but: How do you drop one bomb instead of all of them at the same time when in a jet?

ive spent almost one week deciding between the many diffrent choices and ive finally decided on this:

ASPIRE X-Navigator ATXA8NW-AL
                      AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2000Mhz
                      ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe
                      Leadtek 7900 GTX 512mb
                      G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB)
                      Seagate Barracuda 160GB
                      Enermax Liberty ELT500AWT
                      Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi

Is this a good combination?
                      Will it run well?
                      Should I get two 7900 GT's or the 7900 GTX?

Comment

Working...
                      X