Upgrade advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade advice

Battlefield is painfully slow, I've reformatted my computer to get it better but it still feels like I'm playing a slide show.

I don't think my spec is too bad, what's the weakest link? Should I just go for a new system? I've not got much of a budget for a big upgrade.

2.80 Ghz P4
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
    1Gb RAM
    (Board: TriGem Computer NETHERLANDS Advent Series Ver1.0
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz)

Re: Upgrade advice

you defenetly need an Upgrade of CPU and Video card :|:

Comment

i would say, get 1gb ram extra. and get a 7900gt gfx card. solves alotta problems.

Comment

Your CPU is fine. Take venny's advice and grab at least 1 more GB RAM and upgrade that video card to at least nVidia 7800. (btw: check out www.tigerdirect.com for some pretty good deals on hardware)

You're looking at about $350 max.

Comment

ok keep ecerything exept the gfx card. I have a 6800gt and it plays really well wit one gig of ram. so get anything above this card.

Comment

I aggree ram is the key... My specs are not much better yet BF2 runs fine for me...

P4 2.55 Ghz
            2.5 gb ram
            Radeon 9800 Pro

Comment

Yep. More Ram and a GForce 7900 or 7950. I'm using a 6800GT with 2GB ram and believe it or not a Celeron 2.6GB cpu with the 478 chipset. I run everything on high with 4x anti-aliasing and am only just having lag problems since the new patch. My next card will be a 7950.

Comment

Originally posted by John Edmo
                Yep. More Ram and a GForce 7900 or 7950. I'm using a 6800GT with 2GB ram and believe it or not a Celeron 2.6GB cpu with the 478 chipset. I run everything on high with 4x anti-aliasing and am only just having lag problems since the new patch. My next card will be a 7950.
                Except he is on AGP so the best AGP card he could get would be the 7800GS, or the 7600GS.

Comment

A better graphics card would benefit him here.... The cpu and ram are FINE, he doesn't mention he wants to play @ ultra high settings,etc...
                  Anything above 6600GT would b fine..

this looks nice...

Comment

Originally posted by airwot4
                    Battlefield is painfully slow, I've reformatted my computer to get it better but it still feels like I'm playing a slide show.

I don't think my spec is too bad, what's the weakest link? Should I just go for a new system? I've not got much of a budget for a big upgrade.

2.80 Ghz P4
                    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
                    1Gb RAM
                    (Board: TriGem Computer NETHERLANDS Advent Series Ver1.0
                    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz)
                    Is that an AGP mobo & graphics card? If it is then you would be limited to a 7900GS as the GTX and GT are not available in AGP.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin
                      Is that an AGP mobo & graphics card? If it is then you would be limited to a 7900GS as the GTX and GT are not available in AGP.
                      There is no 7900GS, only 7800GS.

Comment

Best bet for AGP (IMHO) is to buy x800xt/x850xt or a 6600gt off Ebay and save your pennies for a new system. The 7800gs is a great card, but isn't worth ~$300 going into an AGP system. You could get a new MOBO + 64-bit fast, quiet, cool CPU + mid/high end PCI-E gpu for $100 more than the 7800gs alone.

Just curious, but which P4 is that 2.8 of yours? Northwood or Prescott? I have a 3.0E Prescott that used to sound like a typhoon under load.

Comment

Working...
                        X