• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking... is it worth it?

2.4 Ghz P4
    1 Gig ram
    nVidia 6600 GT

I can run battlefield 2 at medium settings but it gets a little choppy at times. Im thinking of over clocking my graphics card, but before I void my warranty and fry my card i want to make sure its worth it. I realize that this can severely damage my card, but will the FPS boost be worth it. I currently run at an average of 25 - 30 FPS although it does go down to 5 and go back up every once in a while. If i overclock my graphics card a safe amount, how much would the FPS increase.

This has nothing to do with anything but how can i find the serial code that i used to install the game and can i change it without reinstalling?

Re: Overclocking... is it worth it?

Those stories about frying your card and so all is so rubbish. You literally cant burn u card up with just overclocking it with using Rivaturn or built in Coolbits.
    Cards have protection on them and they freeze when they are getting hot.
    You can only burn ur card if you voltmod it and add extra volts,its used by expert users who know what they are doing so . Dont worrie clock your card as mutch as possible. Run 3dmarks to see if its stable. To boost up your OC buy some good aircooling on it. Stock coolings wont allow you to clock very well. Also clocking your CPU a bit gives a nice boost aswell. I also had P4 2.4 and i oced it to 3.0GHz

Comment

I wouldn't advise you to overclock your cpu until you have read a lot about doing so, but anyone can overclock a graphics card, its just a case of raising the frequencies and then checking your temperatures and looking for artifacts.

Although basic overclocking won't give a huge performance boost ingame, it might make your game play more smoothly or alow a few setings higher.

The thing about overclocking voiding your warranty is pretty much b.s., the manufacturer has no way of knowing you overclocked it.

Comment

thnx for the fast replies. Im gonna upgrade my cooling and airflow and try overclocking in baby steps. I already have a program that came with the graphics card(its an MSI program). Do i need any other programs?

Comment

For your graphics card, try overclocking the memory clock only. You'll see a nice performance difference, and you won't risk totally frying your card. Overclocking the memory is generally low-risk.

Comment

the memory clock is currently at 500 Mhz and the maximumis 1300 Mhz. How should i start overclocking. In core clock there is 2D and 3D clock and both are at 300 Mhz; is overclocking the core memory a little going to make a diffrence?

There is this thing called D.O.T and it stands for Dynamic overclocking technology and there are 6 things to choose from; Private(1), Sergeant(2), Captain,(3) Colonel(4), general(5) and commander(6). wtf is that?

Comment

jus get a new card. a 7900gt is good bang for performance.

Comment

I use to roll with the 6600GT could overclock to abut 1150 on memory saw maybe a 5-10 FPS improvement not much.

Comment

im gonna get a new pc soon but until then i wanna get the most i can of the system im using right now, and i dont want to destroy it doing so because i want to give it to my brother and sell his

Comment

Working...
                  X