CD Image - faster than BF2 CD?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD Image - faster than BF2 CD?????

I tried searching but couldn't find anything, so sorry if it's been posted before!!!

Just had a thought last night.
    I know when you first start the game i can hear the CD spin up, so obviously the cd is needed to start the game. But after game is loaded does it need to read from the CD again??

Just wondering if it did, and if it did, would there be any better performance by creating an image of BF2 disc and mounting it with Daemon Tools.
    Coz i know that the pc can read from HDD faster than a CD ROM.

I'm guessing too that a file somewhere would need to be edited to change the path of the CD to point to the mounted image.

Any of you any thoughts/suggestions/flames(if im being a complete noob!!)

Re: CD Image - faster than BF2 CD?????

Just mount your bf2 image to a virtual drive and then you dont need to use your disc again.

it takes a couple of seconds of loading time which is good. I use the image aswell and it works great.

Comment

Just follow this,

Been using an image for months now (also did it with all other games that require the cd to play). Also FWIW the image I made is just a hair over 2 mb and the game loads and plays fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy{CAN}
        Just follow this,

Been using an image for months now (also did it with all other games that require the cd to play). Also FWIW the image I made is just a hair over 2 mb and the game loads and plays fine.
        Excellent link mate, might do that myself now.

Comment

also if you rename the movie files (the intro ones) it cuts off the load times,

i have no intro movies, the menu named ones is for the background when logging in, im not fond of it so i renamed it also

click image to make bigger

Comment

You can save some time by just renaming the Movies folder to Movies2, has the same affect without having to rename each file (also do the same in the SF folder if you have it).

Comment

Thanx guys.
              Mini image looks even better than making a full image, not so much HD space!!

So i take it that CD1 is only used for starting the game. I was trying to see if i could squeeze any better performance out of the game.
              But faster start up times is fine by me. Especially as i CTD'd or locked up about 6 times on monday night. FRUSTRATING!!!

And a nice tip about the movies too!! Cheers and gone!!!!

Comment

yes definately run a mini-image. no waiting for the cd to spin up.
                "Crunch's First Officer"
                twitter: @signaprime

Comment

I image everything so I dont have to hunt for CD's. Usually when I buy games i install then image and never see the CD again.

Comment

No, the mounting program will use up too much memory.

BF2 only needs to verify the CD once, then it leaves it alone.

Comment

Originally posted by coolbho3000
                      No, the mounting program will use up too much memory.

BF2 only needs to verify the CD once, then it leaves it alone.
                      If you consider 4mb too much.

Comment

Working...
                      X