crashed or what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crashed or what?

ok this post isn't exactly related to bf2 or a game for that matter, its more of a question if anyone knows what happened on my computer.

just before i went to work i was on it, haven't had a chance to play bf2 for a few days and i never got around to it again that day. so i turned it off and everything was running smoothly, nothing out of the ordinary. so after work, i get in the door (just around quater to 3 in the mornning to add to the frustration im feeling) and i get in my room, flick the switch and start cleaning up. i glance over at the screen, which should be waiting for me to input my pword by now and its still black with white writing.

i walk over to it to read and it gives me one option of using flash recovery, so i hit y. 5-10 minutes later i'm still waiting, hearing the same noise every 30 seconds i suppose, which sounded like the hard drive reader scratching or something. thats when i started to pick up on the pattern and figured i wasn't getting anywhere.

so i reboot the thing and this time, i press n for flash recovery. next thing i know it was doing some reltech scan i think, do not remember (2days + ago), and then it brings me to another black page saying that it is not booting and seeks the diskette A: to boot up.

so i go and dl the xp home ed boot up on another computer and try again. 6 floppy's later i get to a blue screen asking if i want to repair or install my OS. oh yeah, i almost forgot to say, the boot up instructions on the floppys is designed to get you as far as the cd-rom drive to install the OS. anyways, i get there, and i first tried repairing and then later on even tried totally re-installing but failed and got the same message twice. this message ran along the lines of saying my hard drive could not be located.

so these are my questions -

1. could it be software or hardware related? im pretty sure in this case that it is hardware related but then again, maybe its a virus...

2. has anyone had something like this happen before and if so, what did you do?

umm, well i guess thats all for questions really..

i do not think my computer specs would have anything to do with it but maybe it would help.

2x P4 2.8 ghz
    120 gb HD
    1024 ram
    512 mb radeon vid card - 9800 series i think

i wish i remember more but its hard to. this is only 2-3 years old. i'm thinking if it is hardware related, buy a small cheap HD and get that computer back up and running and just build a new gaming system again. :|:

so yeah, any input would be great

Re: crashed or what?

--Moved to Tech Center--

Comment

Sounds like a failed hd, they all break after a while, make sure the next one you buy is a western digital.

Almost all hard drives have a feature called S.M.A.R.T with which you can check the integrity of the disk. You can access this feature with http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1391 although it also does lots of other things too (benchmarking, diagnostic checks etc)

Comment

I agree that it sounds like a failed HD. It can happen all of the sudden for no apparent reason and will give the results that you describe. Get a new hard drive, and full install of Windows XP if you don't already have it.

Comment

i remember when my hdd failed, i smelled smoke coming from it. i so panicked i jumped to the power switch and slammed it off. then i took it out and saw a few burned transistors behind. i still remember that smell till today. i too think its your hdd failure. i sucs when u havent made a backup. i lost all my fav stuff on that hdd. i think seagate or maxtor will do fine.

Comment

yeah, thats what i thought it was. i just didn't want to be right about it and was hoping someone here would tell me i was wrong and that everything would be ok lol.

well, this is pretty weird. i was just thinking of getting a new HD anyways.

and yes it does suck when you do not make back up files. i did lose a lot of nice things but oh well. i think this time i will invest in two HD's. i think i saw an 80 gb going for like 50 bucks. have to look into it some more.

may as well upgrade the ram too lol. just gotta wait on that paycheck =D

Comment

Working...
            X