New video Card ?? Just don't bother at the mo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New video Card ?? Just don't bother at the mo

New video Card ?? Just don't bother at the moment .

Why would anyone want to spend big bucks on a new card at the moment i cant understand ?

Vista is out at the start of the new year and surley everyone will want a new DX10 card ?

Or am i missing something ?

Re: New video Card ?? Just don't bother at the mo

well its like...why would u bother buying a xbox 360...xbox 720 or something will be out in a few years...well thats a bad example but some ppl just cant wait

Comment

Yeah I agree with ConsciptV w00t. Buying a video card that will let you play your games well is top priority. There will always be something better around the corner. Eventually you will need a new video card, but even if you don't wait for DX10, its not like games will be optimized for it the day it comes out. It'll be like dual core; where you must wait before it has any SERIOUS impact. Do you think developers are stupid enough to abandon their majority market of DX9ers (love that "ers" :P)? They will not completely abandon the DX9ers for a long time

Comment

Just by a midrange GPU so you don't have to spend all that much money and you can upgrade more often...

Comment

I agree with buying a midrange card, but you could sell it when something new comes out, and then buy the new card. Just a way of keeping up, kinda. Like, for someone building as soon as Conroe comes out, I'd just recommend they spend like $150 on a 7600GT or $290 on a 7900GT, and then sell it and buy a G80 in Sept/Oct.

Comment

Originally posted by Flanker
            for someone building as soon as Conroe comes out, I'd just recommend they spend like $150 on a 7600GT or $290 on a 7900GT, and then sell it and buy a G80 in Sept/Oct.
            exactly my plan (7600 GT CO for now)

It's true with good products around the corner it almost feels like buying anything new before then would be stupid... but its more than a couple weeks away... still some time to go

So as said above mid-range for now and then upgrading after dx10 sounds like the best thing to do

Comment

Lol "xbox 720"

Really, you are right. I agree with you 100%.

Its just the fact taht people are dumb as goats or rich as goats and buy new cards everymonth.

Im going to wait till vista is released, and the G80 Will be coming soon with DX10 support "supposedly"

Comment

i dont believe dx10 games will come out anytime soon even if dx10 came out. so i think its still pretty safe to get a dx9 card now.

Comment

Crysis is DX10.

And I hear UT2K7 is also going to be now.

Comment

its still gonna be a long time to dx10 and vista. next year at least. that at least half a year more.

Comment

Meh. I'm waiting for the manufacturer's/online retailers start dumping their dx9 stocks. May not be able to get a 7900/x1900 for $100, but definitely checking into it when they drop to ~$175.

For alot of us, it's not about just about performance. It's about price/performance. I've got a p4 3.0E, agp x800xt AIW, and 1 gb of pc3200. My only upgrade planned for the next 18-24 months is another 1 gb of memory and a fresh, fast SATA HD+pci-SATA interface card, probably right after oblivion takes a price drop or BF2142 comes out. I'll play games at medium, and save $1,500 on hardware upgrades.

Then, I'll buy a 1.8 Celeron off ebay for $15, and migrate my current system into a dedicated SFF/HTPC/SkypePC (no more phone bills), and get one of those fancy new PCI-E jobbies, after the breathless ooober-leet upgraders buy up the first six runs of Conroe chips...and Intel works out the (probable) kinks with the initial runs, and the prices begin to fall appreciably.

And for those of you in the 18-23 y.o. range using your student loans to buy a $3,000 killer gaming rig...Social Security isn't going to be able to feed you when you're 80 (get it? "killer rig"? as in "starving" in fifty years?! ok, that was crass), whereas funding your Roth IRA with a $2,000 contribution and building a medium-end workstation (splurge on the GPU) for $1,000 would put you $30,000 (TAX FREE) ahead after 50 years.

For example--
                      A closeout HP (I don't mind buying "off the shelf", IF the price/performance is right):
                      This website is for sale! ecost.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, ecost.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

and an open box x850xt (no, it won't do SM3. Why don't I care? Because you wouldn't run want to run HDR + high quality visuals + high resolution on anything less than dual x1800 or 7600's)

Buy Open Box: SAPPHIRE Radeon X850XT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card 100106SR-RD with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Put that card in that PC, and for just under $600 + shipping you're running BF2 with great fps at 1280x1024/85hz, 2xAA, AAF to taste, and ALL high, except dynamic shadows off and dynamic lighting to taste...

...And you won't be feeding your beloved dogfood when you two are 90, if you dump the rest of the money you'd have spent on gaming into retirement. </dismount from high horse>

Comment

I have the option to replace the video card I use with something bigger and stronger. But with aging hard drives that will be replaced with Raptors or similar the video card is not that much a priority.

Comment

Vista is 9 months out at the very earliest...

Comment

you cant run DX 10 on xp either latest news says.

Comment

My point exactly...

Comment

Working...
                              X