New video card and no improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New video card and no improvement

Thank you all SO much for the thoughtful replies!
    I'm not extremely technical, so I appreciate your patience with me. Thanks for the overview, twsmit!
    I went ahead and ordered a Geforce 7900GT.
    Wreck, I did research on the model you suggested and it's fast as hell, but I went with the Asus EN7900GT/2DHT. Basically it came down to a choice between ungodly speed (with the eVGA) and a little extra stability (plus less noise and heat) with the Asus.
    Call me a wimp/n00b, but I'll stick with the slightly slower card that will let me sleep more soundly at night

Comment

Originally posted by Tenkani
      Thank you all SO much for the thoughtful replies!
      I'm not extremely technical, so I appreciate your patience with me. Thanks for the overview, twsmit!
      I went ahead and ordered a Geforce 7900GT.
      Wreck, I did research on the model you suggested and it's fast as hell, but I went with the Asus EN7900GT/2DHT. Basically it came down to a choice between ungodly speed (with the eVGA) and a little extra stability (plus less noise and heat) with the Asus.
      Call me a wimp/n00b, but I'll stick with the slightly slower card that will let me sleep more soundly at night
      More soundly like the best warranty service that any video card company offers from EVGA as well as the step up program which allows you to trade in your card for a better one and get the full retail price for it?

Comment

Originally posted by Wreck
        More soundly like the best warranty service that any video card company offers from EVGA as well as the step up program which allows you to trade in your card for a better one and get the full retail price for it?
        isn't that only if you return in first couple months or somethin?

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy01741
          isn't that only if you return in first couple months or somethin?
          I think the step up program is 90 days, the warranty is lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by Wreck
            I think the step up program is 90 days, the warranty is lifetime.
            And warranty is not voided by overclocking nor voltmodding i believe.

Comment

You're right, I read plenty of great things about the warranty and "step up" program. But I also read quite a few reviews that implied the new Geforce 7900s from eVGA (and XFX) are plagued by heat and reliability problems, partly because they're often factory overclocked to a ridiculously high level. Just look at the New Egg customer comments. It seems like when the cards work they SCREAM, but lots of people are reporting glitches, overheating and other assorted issues.

I'm not really a power user, so I'll let braver souls push it to the limit. From everything I've read the Asus is a stable component, and easy to overclock should I decide to go there at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy01741
                And warranty is not voided by overclocking nor voltmodding i believe.
                Overclocking? No. Voltmodding? Oh hell yes. Evga isn't that generous.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir. MatDef
                  Overclocking? No. Voltmodding? Oh hell yes. Evga isn't that generous.
                  Oh darn, oh well, overclocking for a lifetime waranty is def good enough, most warrantys are 1 year and get voided if you overclock.

Comment

Working...
                  X