Input please :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Input please :D

Do to my parents saying I shouldn't spend a lot of my money on my computer and that I don't have enough money to build a new one anyway I've decided to upgrade mine.

I was looking to get a decent ATA 133 16mb cache HD

copy of windows xp

and my mo'bo's retarded or something, because it'll support up to one gig of pc3200, 2gigs of pc2700, and 3 gigs of pc2100.

I wanted to get the hard drive and windows of course. (I've researched and looekd at other peoples computers and narrowed down my slow ass verfying client data to the hard drive.) This will hold me decently I'm guessing. 1 gig of pc3200, p4 3ghz, and 6600gt . Now if I wanted more ram would 2gigs of pc2700 be faster than what I have now? (1 gig pc3200.)

Re: Input please

It's doubtful your loading speed is limited by the hard drive. Unless it's an older 5400 RPM drive your not going to see a huge speed increase with a new drive over an older 7200 RPM drive.

Comment

What is the make/model of your MOBO? That RAM thing you said doesn't sound right.

Comment

Asus p4s800 vanilla socket 478 .

I've really narrowed it down to hard drive, my system is better than my cousins and his verifies really fast. The hard drive is a 2mb cache, 40 gigs, I can't find the actual rpm, but on western digital they have the newer version on western digital at 7200 rpm, remember mine's two and a half years old and came out of an emachines. I bought some corsair ram too, but my mobo is retarded it will only as I said support up to 1 gig of pc3200 , so I tryed just the 1 gig stick and everything worked, but it seemed slower loading times so I went back to my 512 x 2.

To clarify:

one gig of pc 3200

or

two gigs of pc2700

or

3 gigs of pc3200

and it takes me about 3 - 5 mins to verify depending on which server.

Comment

3 gigs of pc 3200 would be great if ou can afford it, otherwise i would say go 2 gigs pc 2700.. but that doesnt sound correct... wierd..

Comment

That'd be a bit overkill, but my mobo wont support more than 1 gig of pc3200.

Comment

Originally posted by Alm()nd J()y
              Asus p4s800 vanilla socket 478 .

I've really narrowed it down to hard drive, my system is better than my cousins and his verifies really fast. The hard drive is a 2mb cache, 40 gigs, I can't find the actual rpm, but on western digital they have the newer version on western digital at 7200 rpm, remember mine's two and a half years old and came out of an emachines. I bought some corsair ram too, but my mobo is retarded it will only as I said support up to 1 gig of pc3200 , so I tryed just the 1 gig stick and everything worked, but it seemed slower loading times so I went back to my 512 x 2.

To clarify:

one gig of pc 3200

or

two gigs of pc2700

or

3 gigs of pc3200

and it takes me about 3 - 5 mins to verify depending on which server.
              ???

Well if not the 3 gig go for 2 gig. 2gig is definatley going to become the next standard of ram, many games recomend 1gb already, so to play on high you need more than that.

Comment

Yeah I'll sit at this and then do a new build .

Comment

Your board supports upto 3GB i believe

Shopping.com is a leading price comparison site that allows you shop online for the best deals and lowest prices. You can read unbiased product reviews and compare prices online. Online shopping has never been as easy!

You can probably look up the manual, I would but i dont have acrobat installed on this computer.

Comment

Originally posted by twsmit
                    Your board supports upto 3GB i believe

Shopping.com is a leading price comparison site that allows you shop online for the best deals and lowest prices. You can read unbiased product reviews and compare prices online. Online shopping has never been as easy!

You can probably look up the manual, I would but i dont have acrobat installed on this computer.
                    Unfortanetly not. Here's what it says in the directions:

3 x 184-pin ddr dimm sockets support up to 3gb unbuffered non-ECC DDR memory.
                    (note: pc2100/1600 support up to 3 dimms; pc3200/2700 support up to 2 dimms; 1gb pc3200/2700 with 32 DDR ships support to 1 dimm only.)

Ah, **** I read it again it says pc3200 and pc2700 with 32 ddr ships support up to 1 dimm only . does this mean I can only have a max of 1 gig of pc3200 or pc2700? Because that sux .

Comment

Yea.. Looks like a new pc/mobo will be commin sooner than you would have liked.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir. Blak_Phoenix
                        Yea.. Looks like a new pc/mobo will be commin sooner than you would have liked.
                        Yeah I was looking to build a small lan PC or something.

Comment

Working...
                        X