SOMAAmnesia: The Dark Descent

This sort of moral grey area is what SOMA thrives on throughout the entirety of the story. Bits and pieces of the narrative are picked up here and there. There were only a handful of times where the story was explicitly explained to me. The rest came from computer terminals, audio logs, and through other characters encountered on your journey. Even then you are not always sure if the information you are being drip-fed is the truth or not. The basic premise behind SOMA is that you are Simon and Simon is having a really

This game spent roughly five years in development and it shows. It is an incredibly polished look into the depths of what makes us us. The only real issue I have with the game is that I wish some enemies were encountered just a bit more frequently than they are. The diverse ensemble of deep sea monsters that would make Frankenstein proud needed just a bit more screen presence than what they were given. The puzzles felt like they were an appropriate difficulty and never became too overbearing. The visuals and audio worked hand in hand to make me believe I was several hundred meters under the surface. Without sounding too hyperbolic, SOMA is a better BioShock than BioShock managed to be. It nails the atmosphere and hits all of the notes that makes the story one of the best in the horror genre.

I fully concede that this game is closer in gameplay style to the non-Frictional developed Amnesia sequel, Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
Negatives
- Limited gameplay mechanics may disappoint some fans of Amnesia: The Dark Descent.
- Having to wait until the next offering from Frictional Games.
Related Information
Title: SOMA
Platforms: Reviewed on PC (Windows). Also available on PlayStation 4, Linux, and OS X.
ESRB Rating: M for Mature 17+ for violence, blood, nudity, and strong language.

(SOMA was provided to Total Gaming Network for review purposes. However, the review request was fulfilled after I had already played through the game to completion.

A full, unedited play through of my SOMA play through can be found here on YouTube.)