This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Put Their Crysis in my Far Cry?

Rock, Paper, Shotgun has brought to everyone's attention a modification for Far Cry that strives to reach the level of graphical detail found in Crysis. Let's see what Rock, Paper, Shotgun has to say about the Delta Sector mod for Far Cry.
    The trees are sadly not destructible, but the tall grass waves prettily and there’s a ton of incidental detail such as falling leaves, flocks of birds and butterflies. I left the mod running during a quiet scene while I went to make my fourteenth coffee of the day, and upon returning found my normally manic kitten sat motionless in front of my monitor, mesmerised by the gentle sway and flutter of the verdant vista. I’ll confess to having done the same myself for a few minutes.

As a game, it’s an odd’un. Of course it’s an FPS using Far Cry’s mechanics, and a narratively bankrupt one at that (plus talk of ‘aircrafts’ makes me wince), but the substitution of FC’s tropical beaches for Euro-forests changes the play-style quite a bit. There’s not much call for stealth - enemies fall, somewhat mercifully after Crysis’ ultro-Koreans, after just a couple of well-placed bullets - but the challenge is spotting them in the first place. The vegetation is so dense and their armour so tree-coloured that you’re forced into a unfamiliar and often thrilling degree of awareness and caution.

The mod is only three levels large, but well worth if you happen to have Far Cry still installed and wish for a little visual splendor. You can check out the Delta Sector for yourself by visiting the mod's home page. In case you were curious: Yes, there is an option to view the site in English.
Working...
X