Edited by [user="26841"] @ [time="1137019223"]
thor2488 wrote..Do you realize what the ratio of empty servers to full ones is? There is no need in the CS community for more servers, and this is true whether you're talking about CS1.6, CS:CZ, or CS:S. What their is a lack of is high quality servers, with a consistently high standard of play and a lack of obnoxious addons (like "HEADSHOT" or ads such as these).
How is this bad? This will allow more people to host servers, because they can defray the cost of the server with advertising...
MikeJ wrote..I think placement, size, presentation, and clarity are all factors that affect this. For instance... cs_assault_cz features a rather distracting ad that can definitely take your attention away from the terrorists below the bridge. But that said, we're talking about a billboard-sized ad which takes up a significant amount of screen real-estate.
I've played plenty of games where I wouldn't mind real ads anymore than the fake ads they replace, but trying to squeeze them into places where ads were never meant to be is just sleezy.
LeRaldo wrote..Yeah, I've come across such servers before over the past couple years, but I'd say they've been an abberation from the norm in my experience. Additionally, I've seen advertisement for clans and the server's hosting company typically, not for products, especially totally unrelated ones such as a food chain.
I haven't read any of the previous comments, but there's been quite a few servers for several years that have had shitty server mods/plugins that put ads over several of the normal/stock maps like de_dust2 and so on. Whatever this company is doing is nothing new as far as I'm aware...
Deletable_Man wrote..Typically the ad-placement has been done by adding an extra model or something along those lines via a server plugin. As a result, every time I've attempted to spray over advertisements, the spray has gone against the wall, slightly behind (and covered up by) the advertisement. Yes, I get annoyed by that fact.
Seriously though, I'd like to make a spray with a giant adaware logo and spray it over those subway ads.
Splatula wrote..Honestly, despite how many people play CS, posting an ad in a game server is not an effective advertisement technique. Your viewership is limited, and most people will only get annoyed by such ads... it's likely to have a negative effect on both the server and the companies being advertised.
Unfortunately, even if Valve didn't/doesn't support ads... the way marketing companies use guerilla marketing techniques they could just use sprays to blanket a server with ads for a few rounds. It's cheap, effective and you can target specific audiences. Like for example, imagine you are watching the final round in summer CPL (i need the thoughts of warm weather right now) and one of the teams sprays tags of their sponsor all over while they play. Well... that will be thousands of young people who will have been exposed to a quick flash of an ad in game. Heck, in CSS you can even have animated sprays, which means even crazier ads. Yuck!
Given that the CS community is composed primarily of young males, I'd imagine your only effective ads will include pictures of barely dressed women with a "running low on tissues? Try Kleenex for the softest rub ever" ad over it.
Leave a comment: