Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article: DICE: "Most Sandbox Games Are Boring"

From next-gen.biz:

OK, so before anyone starts getting out the pitchforks and shouting CoD remake, let us all remember they are talking single player. You know, the part no one cares about

Zh1nt0 has already commented:
    @3DuArD0242 people are reading too much into it. Commenting that tomorrow.
    Source

So what are your thoughts about this scripted environment? Would it be hard to make such intelligent AI to adapt to walls and cover being gone? Would it make a single player game seem dull or would that be alright? Could a sandbox FPS single player game work, since most military FPS games have objectives to complete and points to reach?

Source
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Originally posted by stilla-killa
      Just as long as it lasts longer than 5 or 6 hours I don't really care if they compare it to the COD series.
      The DICE GM said recently that BF3 will have a 12 hour campaign. Even accounting for the obvious exaggeration, I would say that it will still be longer than 6 hours.
      Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

i wish they would scrap the single player all together and focus more on de bugging mp and getting the severs ready for the hordes of players that will swarm to this on release day.

Comment

Comment

What a pity. I prefer sandbox games, I like to be "bored" in SP. Sandbox style has more replayability potential.
            And what about coop? BF3 suppose to have it, right? I don't see all these scripts running fine in coop.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by stilla-killa
                    Did DICE say that there would be SP co-op? If so that would be so AWESOME.
                    They said there would be co-op, but I dont think it will be single player co-op but a seperate thing.

Crunch

Comment

http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/upl...-2010-doom.gif

If DICE thinks BC2's SP was a sandbox game, then it's clear not a single person at that company has ever played FarCry or FarCry 2.

Comment

Sandbox sucks as long as it isnt in a massive multiplayer world

Comment

Comment

I have a few thoughts:

Most sandbox games are boring? That's intrinsic, because the majority of games are boring. No one is being innovative anymore. BF1942 wasn't boring and it was sandbox. But it was also innovative. Remember that DICE?

Regarding singleplayer? Indoor sandbox is hard because you end up going around in circles 4 times before you realize you're back where you started and you can't find the secret door in the corner of corridor number 15.

Case in point of an innovative and captivating open-sandbox single player game? Zelda. 'nuff said.

Sometimes it seems as if DICE creates a game, and then finds ways to explain away the lack of innovation because "everyone feels this way".

WE'RE NOT BUYING IT ANYMORE.

Multiplayer is a bit different, I don't think too many people in the community assume they are talking about multiplayer, as that cannot be linear and scripted by its very nature.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X