No announcement yet.

Help! Crash to desktop only on the night maps, and only on an internet server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Crash to desktop only on the night maps, and only on an internet server

I search for this on the forums, nut didn't fine any useful information.
    I installed BF2:SF and the 1.12 patch. These maps work fine, never got any problem: ghost town, iron gator, mass destruction, surge

However. I always crash when I try to join one of these maps (only these, and does it 100% of the time when I try to join one of these maps): devil's perch, night flight, leviathan, warlord.
    The map loads, but it crashes to desktop when the spawnpoints map appears.
    I tried once loading one of these mpas in a local server, and it worked fine. Thats the only way I've ever been able to go in one of these maps.
    I was previously using the Catalyst 5.8 drivers, updated to 5.12, and the problem is still there.
    Crashed both at lower quality settings (800x600, medium quality overall)
    and higher quality (1280x1024, high quality for most things except lights and shadows, 2x FSAA)

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated, as I am currently completely unable to play half the SF maps.

---------
    Windows XP SP2
    P4 3.00 GHz (northwood)
    ATI X800XL AGP 8x, Catalyst 5.12
    1GB RAM

Re: Help! Crash to desktop only on the night maps, and only on an internet server

Since 1.12 I've had a similar problem, though not as bad as you described.

I turned down the video settings a bit and it solved the problem.

Comment

Re: Help! Crash to desktop only on the night maps, and only on an internet server

I tried it with lower video settings (800x600, medium quality), and I had the same problem.

What I find weird, is that when I create a local server (LAN server) I can load the maps without problems. It crashes only when I join an internet game on one of the night maps or the warlord map. The four other maps work fine, never crashed at all with them.

ONe thing I forgot to mention... when it crashes, sometimes it crashes to desktop, sometimes it just freezes. There is always a weird video glitch: take the screen image (most of the times, the game image, but sometimes its my desktop image), cut it in horizontal strips 8 pixels high, and "slide" then horizontally so your screen looks all scrambled.
      Looks to me like its using a frame buffer in VRAM and tries to display it at a different resolution than it was meant to be.

(and I had the exact same problem with both the 5.8 and 5.12 catalyst drivers. I am using the official ATI drivers, not modded ones like Omega)

Comment

Working...
      X