CS:Source will not launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS:Source will not launch

I just tinkered with my little brother's computer and this is the current configuration:

AMD Sempron 3000+ 2.0ghz processor
    1.5gb pc3200 ddr ram
    ~80gb hard drive

256mb Radeon X1650 Video Card
    Driver Version: 8.411.0.0 (pretty recent i think)

I decided to test it out with some CS: Source, so I installed steam and loaded cs:s on his comp from my steam account. Everything installs fine. When I launch the game, the monitor blinks (changing res) and I see the cs:s load screen for a second. Then it blinks again, and I am back at my desktop, steam staring at me like it did nothing wrong.

also, in a probably related problem, the earthsim software that came with the ati card won't launch either...

I've look around, and it doesn't seem to be a resolution issue (i've tried launching on many different res), and I am using DirectX 9.0c

I don't know what the problem is. thanks for any help

Sometimes virii can cause this - have you run a full check? Don't bother if it's a new build. Do you get any error messages in the system logs (found in the Manage option when you right click My Computer)?

Comment

It's not a completely new build, but i reformatted the hdd before i added more ram and the video card. So, I'm thinking it's not virus related.

I looked in the event manager, and there seem to be quite a few errors. Most of them say this:

The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block.

These are from when I was trying to install Far Cry from a badly scratched set of discs. They just refused to be read properly. The computer would start the install but at a certain place it would stop. So that is the bulk of the errors.

Then there are a lot of warnings that say this, and they are from the same thing I believe.

An error was detected on device \Device\CdRom0 during a paging
      operation.

Then there is a DHCP error, a few MSIinstaller errors from the Far Cry incident, then there are two F-Secure errors -- something about files exceeding scanning time limit.

Bleh. that is all. I am at a loss.

Could it be that I have two different brands and sizes of RAM installed?

Comment

freakofnature95 wrote..
        Could it be that I have two different brands and sizes of RAM installed?
        Very unlikely - I have that sort of configuration on many PCs. Sadly as I suspected, it's crashing out without an error. I'd be tempted to try an update to the very latest Catalyst drivers. There have been alot of issues like this since a recent Steam update - this could well be one of them.

Comment

I just installed the card a few days ago and I downloaded the latest drivers from ATI, but I opted to not dl the Catalyst Software Suite.

I figured that all I needed was the display driver if I didn't want to tweak the settings.

I will download Catalyst and see what happens...

Comment

Hey freak,

Saw your post on Tech Forums too...my brother is having the same problems and like you, he also recently formatted AND put a new stick of RAM in!

I think there's definately a connection there. We're gonna try a few things and let you know how it goes....

Comment

I did get a similar thing with the ET:QW demo on Steam, which was annoying. I just deleted it though, which I wouldn't do with something I've paid for obviously. You shouldn't need the Catalyst CC, but it can be handy.

Comment

Well, then we're back where we started. I have all the latest drivers installed, and I even updated the drivers for the mobo chipset.

I looked at the video adapter properties and it lists the location of the card as: PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0. It's an AGP card.

I don't know much about this, but is that the correct location for an AGP card?

How can I tell that the card is not running in PCI mode?

:::Update::::::::::::::::::::::::

I went into the bios and changed the primary video adapter from PCI to AGP/onboard. No noticeable difference.

CS:source still fails to launch.

CS (not source) works fine, and I've installed and played Rise of Nations with no problems. However, I tried to play the World in Conflict Demo today, and the same exact problem is occurring.

Thanks again and I am open to any further advice.

Comment

Alright. All is well.

I ended up having to go into safe mode and use a driver cleaning program to wipe all the stuff the ATI uninstaller leaves. The problem persisted at that point with the up to date driver (7.9). So I downloaded 7.7 from earlier this year and everything works beautifully.

Thanks for your assistance. That was no fun.

Comment

That was some good thinking, so the updated driver (or fragments of it) was causing the problem? The location of the AGP card on PCI bus 0 is normal - but it can be confusing as if you don't install your AGP driver for the motherboard, the graphics card often only works in PCI mode (ie slowly!).

Comment

Working...
                    X