Possible New WAW League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible New WAW League

XPL might try to start up a WAW league if there is enough support from the community for it.

Re: Possible New WAW League

As much as some people want to move to the game, I really don't see it being highly successful. When CoD4 players learned that MW2 wouldn't have dedicated server support many of them tried to move to WaW, playing the new competitive mod (believe it's called com mod). Pugs were activated again, but I already see interest waning. When the community first announced a possible transition I saw about half of my xfire playing the game, but now maybe 1 or 2 people play it.

Just like on release people are realizing again the same thing they did when the game first came out, that it's not suited for competitive play. Despite competitive mods, the poor sound and general gameplay mechanics make it unsuitable for competitive play. Not saying it's a bad game, it's just not as good as Call of Duty 4 - from a competition stand point - and therefore I don't foresee players converting to WaW this late in the game.

I'm not trying to say people won't play the league, but XPL already has a less than desirable reputation in Call of Duty 4 and I don't see that changing with World at War, especially with a small community. From your posts you seem to feel as though you are an "elitist" per say for being anti-CoD4. Yes, it is an easy game compared to other FPS's, but that doesn't mean you can run rampant in scrims and matches. It's a very team oriented game when you play higher level teams, and this has made competition extremely successful in comparison to WaW - which, quite honestly, is just as easy as CoD4.

Comment

You never really have explained to me why COD4 is considered better than COD5. You've said mods have been tried, and things of that nature, but you never specifically say anything significant. Sound maybe the only reason, which is a big part of the game, but it's not a crucial mark against WaW.

You never say...if you spawn in the back on a map, with good coordination with your team you can take over the map and create a good offense/defense. Or momentum makes COD4 a more dynamic game because COD5's map don't center around a small point, or something to that nature. You make a lot of generalizations, and don't give any real details as to why COD4 is more dynamic than WaW or why it's the favored of the COD series.

Comment

Call of Duty 4
        -Established mod for both NA and EU players
        -Established community
        -Quality sound
        -Competition friendly maps (this can be argued, but in general I feel that CoD4 maps are better suited for competitive play)

The thing is, you can mod most of the stuff from CoD4 into WaW - changes in weapon recoil, no cooked nades, etc. but the overall point is that CoD4 is established, while WaW isn't. I can't give you a specific reason as to why WaW never took off, but it's most likely a result of the poor sound/etc. in combination with the active CoD4 scene at the time. When CoD4 had better sound, an established mod and community, and was still active there was no reason to move to WaW, and I think the community still holds a similar sentiment even now.

If WaW came out before CoD4, maybe it would be backwards - it having the established community and such, but it just didn't happen that way. That's why I'm saying WaW isn't necessarily a bad game, there's just not much motivation to switch games, even this late in the game when Call of Duty 4 is on its last legs.

Comment

I think what hurt COD5 competitive start is the lack of ability to record demos, and missing some features crucial to competitive play. FOV, connect commands not working ect. And what Defect mentioned the map design isn't impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by =)BiT(= Evant3k
            I think what hurt COD5 competitive start is the lack of ability to record demos, and missing some features crucial to competitive play. FOV, connect commands not working ect. And what Defect mentioned the map design isn't impressive.
            Yeah, I totally even forgot about that. The lack of demos completely eliminated the possibility for competition to start up when the game was released, as well as other commands.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to explain some of the reasons with detail.

Comment

Originally posted by =)BiT(= Evant3k
                Most of those issues has been patched.

Comment

Originally posted by -sic
                  Most of those issues has been patched.
                  Yes, now they have.

The problem is it takes time to pick mods and to get everything setup for comeptition. All these leagues compete with each other and they cant freeze their schedules and wait months for a fix to be released. The leagues went back to 4 because they were setup and ready for it.

Playing in a league for a few seasons, I found that it is nonstop for the league admins and not a lot of window to bring up a new game and get everything hashed out.

By the time those things were patched, the competitive community didnt bother to try again and cod4 competition was going strong.

Crunch
                  Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                  Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
                    By the time those things were patched, the competitive community didnt bother to try again and cod4 competition was going strong.

Crunch
                    That's exactly what happened.

@-sic I'm aware of the fact that it has been patched.

Comment

Working...
                    X