Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good introduction to any strategy genre?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Good introduction to any strategy genre?

Hi everyone thanks for the suggestions.. I've decided on AoE. Which of the three do you suggest?

Comment

Originally posted by x + 95 = 4x - 10
      ive played only FPS my whole life. i was wondering what are some games you recommend to ease into the strategy genre. i dont care if its turn based or real time, just something thats fun and can run good on less than ideal hardware. i would prefer not having to scrutinize money or happiness, i can deal with it but the simpler the better
      Off Topic but I just want to say... X = 35:thumbsup:

Comment

Originally posted by x + 95 = 4x - 10 View Post
        Hi everyone thanks for the suggestions.. I've decided on AoE. Which of the three do you suggest?
        2 and 3 are both must haves, but 2 is pretty old now.

Just go with AOEIII. :nod:

Comment

Several major kinds of RTS games.

Youve got the RTT (Real Time Tactics) games like World in Conflict and Company of Heroes.

The very standard and simple strategy games, basically unchanged since 1995, like CnC series, AOE series, Empire Earth series and a few more.

A specialized RTS series focusing on the strategy part, with massive ammount of units, like Total Annihilation and Total Commander.

And while they are all good and dandy for some time of play, none of them have the replay value and skill curve, as high as Blizzards flagships StarCraft and WarCraft (3, not 1 nor 2).

Its good that you picked AOE, its kind of like a "casual" RTS, a fun game. If you like the genre, give SC a go. You can pick up the game for 10 bucks, but its a wonderful game. Dislike old graphics? WarCraft 3 shares a similar concept with SC.

Civ is hardcore, fun for a few.

Comment

i will suggest more, I have always loved RTS games, and everyone should play em

Age of Empires 2 was the best in the series tbh, 3 was ok but not as good

Other RTS games (apart from AOE series which i love) people must own:
            Company of Heroes - required some real thinking and is such a joy to play
            World in Conflict - I thought it was great, like Ground control but only better imo
            Total Annihilation - A true classic of the genre
            Supreme Commander - Spiritual sequel to TA, can produce some awesome sights to marvel as well as mowing your pc
            Homeworld 1+2 - A MUST, 2 of the greatest and most beautiful strategy games I have ever played

Some turn based games as well that I play, bear in mind however only the empire building is turn based, battles are fought real time
            Rome Total War - Immense games, mods are sublime
            Medieval 2 Total war - has an add on too called Kingdoms, like Rome it has awesome mods

Honestly any of the total war games all the way back to shogun will keep you entertained till no end, I could also play Total Annihalation forever theres plenty of user created content like unit packs and maps that just make it even sweeter

I dislike the recent C&C games such as Generals and #3, because well I dont hold their quality in high regard, theyre boring, superficial and very...easy

Comment

Originally posted by manicpyro
              and finally the best game of them all Age Of Empire(the original) i still have it, but it wont run:cry: it can be really helpful for people who are new to the genre
              theres no denying it, Age of Empires is fvcking legendary. brings back the memories.:yay:
              i dont play them any more but the few RTS's i played were Age of Empires, Age of Mythology and Battle for Middle Earth II, but that depends on if you like Lord of the Rings

Comment

The Total war series is quite good as you can have a large mass of infantry which is quite cool.

AoE3 is not bad, i just don't like the population as its only capped at 200. Although GFX is ok, effects are fine and game play is goods i used to play the old series of AoE it was not bad at all.

Comment

Working...
                X