Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crash to desktop bf2

hi gys,
    ive been getting a crash to desktop during bf2 play.
    event viewer error message is "Application BF2.exe locked the primary surface 8 times(s)"
    ive gone threw microsoft forums , google searched , posted in my clans forums looked everywhere for an explanation. one dude at microsoft said hes never seen that error b4. and hes a freakin tech there?? god there useless lol
    anyway if anyone knows of this error , then one ur probably extremely intelligent and two ill be ur friend for ever lol
    clues are - memory related , i think so anyway. also vista 64bit and bf2 being 32 bit related maybe also.
    cpu 6800 core 2 xtreme 3.2ghz
    mobo ga-965p-ds4 gigabyte
    gpu 7800 gtx 256 mb
    ram 4 gig corsair xms2 PC-6400 DDR2
    , 70gig wd 10000rpm 16mb cache
    latest drivers i just updated them all
    vista 64bit
    avg, adaware 2007 spybot but all firewalls resident guards and shields are disabled during gaming.
    adsl2 12.5mbps
    thanks gys

Originally posted by avatara
    avg, adaware 2007 spybot but all firewalls resident guards and shields are disabled during gaming.

when you say "All firewalls" what do you mean? what firewalls?

Comment

Your error means that the system/DX9 is expecting a pointer referencing the intersections of specific textures in memory. Go to System Tools, Administration, Event Viewer and look at the error reports and see if they mention the lock. If any of them do, post them here and I will try to dig through them. Try updating DX9.0c from the Microsoft website.

Oh, and turn your firewall and antivirus back on. You only need one of each at a time. More than one can cause conflicts. One firewall, one antivirus running at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by BPCrusher01 View Post

Oh, and turn your firewall and antivirus back on. You only need one of each at a time. More than one can cause conflicts. One firewall, one antivirus running at a time.
        he still never answered which firewall he's using.. if Zonealarm he needs to uninstall that crap and run crap cleaner to remove all registery junk from it as well. As for anti-virus as long as he's not using the computer to hit warez sites and junk sites he shouldn't have to worry about this on a gaming machine. I'm running two gaming machines I don't have neither on at which I'm behind a router and thats it and pretty much all you really need if your smart on the usage of your comp.

Comment

Originally posted by sava700 View Post
          thats it and pretty much all you really need if your smart on the usage of your comp.
          While I agree with that, assuming that the router/hardware firewall is setup properly (ie explicitly blocking all unused ports), how many people are truly smart with their computers? I would rather be safe than sorry. If a relatively modern computer takes that much of a performance hit when running antivirus in the background, then either something is seriously wrong or you have a crap computer.

To me, it seems that BF2 requires so many open ports that it could create a security hole.

I wonder if the OP fixed the problem? I don't want to go too offtopic.

Comment

hey sorry gys about taking so long to reply . thanks for the answers . ill look again in event viewer and post up what it says . i dont think it says much more than Application BF2.exe locked the primary surface 8 times(s there is some extra tech data which i would need to be tech to understand.
            when i said firewalls i should of just mentiond windows firewall. thats all i have. spybot adware do use resident gaurds etc that act similiar to firewalls but i dont use them there disabled so is uac and windows defender. windows firewall only blocks gaming anyway . any well written script can with ease find its way through windows firewall.
            "Your error means that the system/DX9 is expecting a pointer referencing the intersections of specific textures in memory." ermm , could u explain that to me in more detail , i dont quite understand what a pointer reference is. i know what textures are though.
            i couldnt find the original error event as theres over 45000 errors listed. but i did find this one for bf2
            Faulting application BF2.exe, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x451992e5, faulting module MEMORY.DLL, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x45199153, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00001a65, process id 0xe10, application start time 0x01c813161faefc2f.
            Event Xml:
            <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
            <System>
            <Provider Name="Application Error" />
            <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
            <Level>2</Level>
            <Task>100</Task>
            <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
            <TimeCreated SystemTime="2007-10-20T13:40:10.000Z" />
            <EventRecordID>8296</EventRecordID>
            <Channel>Application</Channel>
            <Computer>adya-PC</Computer>
            <Security />
            </System>
            <EventData>
            <Data>BF2.exe</Data>
            <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
            <Data>451992e5</Data>
            <Data>MEMORY.DLL</Data>
            <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
            <Data>45199153</Data>
            <Data>c0000005</Data>
            <Data>00001a65</Data>
            <Data>e10</Data>
            <Data>01c813161faefc2f</Data>
            </EventData>
            </Event>

here is the details of the excact event. it was hard finding it since its vista and theres almost 40000 error events.

Log Name: System
            Source: Win32k
            Date: 6/11/2007 10:31:38 PM
            Event ID: 245
            Task Category: None
            Level: Information
            Keywords: Classic
            User: N/A
            Computer: adya-PC
            Description:
            Application BF2.exe locked the primary surface 14 time(s).
            Event Xml:
            <System>
            <Provider Name="Win32k" />
            <EventID Qualifiers="16384">245</EventID>
            <Level>4</Level>
            <Task>0</Task>
            <TimeCreated SystemTime="2007-11-06T12:31:38.626Z" />
            <EventRecordID>33100</EventRecordID>
            <Channel>System</Channel>
            <Security />
            </System>
            <EventData>
            <Data>
            </Data>
            <Data>BF2.exe</Data>
            <Data>14</Data>
            <Binary>000000000300280000000000F50000400000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
            </EventData>
            </Event>

Log Name: System
            Source: Win32k
            Date: 6/11/2007 10:31:38 PM
            Event ID: 245
            Task Category: None
            Level: Information
            Keywords: Classic
            User: N/A
            Computer: adya-PC
            Description:
            Application BF2.exe locked the primary surface 14 time(s).
            Event Xml:
            <System>
            <Provider Name="Win32k" />
            <EventID Qualifiers="16384">245</EventID>
            <Level>4</Level>
            <Task>0</Task>
            <TimeCreated SystemTime="2007-11-06T12:31:38.626Z" />
            <EventRecordID>33100</EventRecordID>
            <Channel>System</Channel>
            <Security />
            </System>
            <EventData>
            <Data>
            </Data>
            <Data>BF2.exe</Data>
            <Data>14</Data>
            <Binary>000000000300280000000000F50000400000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
            </EventData>
            </Event>

Comment

I'll look at this in detail when I get back tonight. I am attending a programming conference for Mathworks/MATLAB.

You have 40,000 error messages? That's probably a clue to an unstable system. Is simething continuously crashing or unstable besides BF2?

A pointer stores a memory address that points to its contents, basically. It's a programing thing. Vista is not likely your problem, so don't freak out. Since you had an error with memory.dll, try running memtest86 for a while and see if you get some RAM errors.

Comment

thanks crusher i really appreciate ur help.
                i was shocked to notice so many errors with vista . i also have another drive with xp on the same system and it has none of the errors that vista has so i just figured it was vista. i also checked my friends pc who has vista home prem but 32 bit . and his had around the same amount of errors , thousands of them. so we just figured its vista just sucking at everything it does. lol
                also , yes wmplayer crashes, ive reinstalled it so many times it just doesnt want to run properly . actually just about every software program i run crashes at some stage, with faulty module errors? most programs just dont run on my vista system , but do run fine with xp on the same system . thats why ive just passed it off as being vista. im hopeing this sp1 will fix alot of it.geez i hope it does.
                im not sure what module errors are , but event viewer seems to have alot of them listed.
                and yes i know , some of u will be wondering , why doesnt he just use his xp installation then? well, i should but......i luv those pretty bubbles with the screen saver and it does look better .and i get around 15 or so fps more with vista than i do with my xp. during bf2 .

Comment

From those logs, it seems to be a hardware problem, most likely RAM of chipset. Vista never had errors like that on mine, it's actually a very stable OS if you have stable hardware. If you overclocked anything, put it back to default. Install the latest drivers for your chipset. Now lets run some diagnostics.

Try one of the memtest tests. Here are some links:

MemTest86 is the original self booting memory testing software for x86 and ARM computers. Supporting both BIOS and UEFI, with options to boot from USB.

Burn the bootable .iso image to a cd using nero, poweriso, deepburner, or whatever else you have. Boot from disc to run the test. Let it run. If there are errors, test the RAM one stick at a time until you find all errors/bad sticks.

You can also try running prime95 for a few hours (or overnight). It will help detect previously unseen instability in a system. Keep me posted.

Comment

thanks for that ,
                    i dl memtest , unfortunatly its that bloody winrar. i have winrar and it works but for some reason it wont extract this one .
                    ive downloaded the same iso file from other mirrors , but same thing winrar wont extract it.
                    first i saved it to hd then i tried to extract it to folder to burn onto disc
                    am i doing it right?
                    i cant burn it as a winrar folder right? it has to be extracted somewhere first.
                    ill also try some of the other memtest u posted there ,hopefully there not winrar.

ffs!! this is so frustrating. im using poweriso and it just wont do it. failed failed
                    i used 3 new cds just wont do it , then i tried nero burner same failed.
                    i tried different versions of memtest same failed it just wont burn it onto the disc.now vista has created a new cd burning drive called G? which doesnt exist? lol it just created it like 10 minutes ago.so instead of vista using dvd drive e it thinks **** that ill just create a new one that doesnt exist and try burining it on that even though theres nothing there!!!
                    then vista automatically formats each rw disc without my permision without giving me the option of stopping it. and the format took vista 45min to do?
                    in xp this stuff was so easier.
                    ill have to try again later otherwise im going to chuck my very expensive pc out the fckn window.

Comment

DON'T TRY TO EXTRACT THE ISO. You need to burn the .iso to a disk as a disc image. Burn it as it is, assuming you downloaded the bootable .iso. Try deepburner. I really like it a lot.

Comment

deepburner according to there website dont support vista.
                        i spent another 2 hours trying to burn this image. iso just wont burn it. my cd burner works fine i tested it.
                        ill try another burner. the problem is that the zipped memtest file isnt recognized until its unzipped. no program will burn it while its zipped they just give me the option to unzip but wont create image.
                        are u sure it has to be cpyd as image unextracted? man ive tried everything to do this . what am i doing wrong.

Comment

If you are downloading a .zip and not a .iso, then yes you need to unzip it, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. However, some programs try to unzip .iso files too, so just keep that in mind.

Try this.
                          ImgBurn is a lightweight CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application that everyone should have in their toolkit... and it's free!

Comment

yeah thats ok , i really appreciate ur help with this.
                            i think it was poweriso that just wouldnt do it. im now using isoactive and this one works well. ill download that one u posted as well and try that .
                            unfortunatly ive gone thew all my cds trying to burn file on it lol so as soon as i get some more ill do it and post the results.
                            i also ran a memory stress test with ntune that nvidia tool.
                            ran it for 12 hours. came back to check results and it had finished but left no results the bugger. i checked ntune files etc it just didnt save any results.
                            ill have some memtest results up soon , just need a day off

Comment

Working...
                            X