X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mohammed hussein
    Guest replied
    Re: small maps are the best!

Yes. People don't care about that wahat is going on on large map servers! and no teamwork at all! teamwork automatically appears on small map servers!

You foul lamers who still prefer average big map servers with endless amounts of plane campers you should be beaten with a stick unti yuor head becomes bloody pulp

you foul teenager

some people now join to small map servers! ai am so ****ing annoyed because i want to play small maps but all servers are empty...... YOU STUPID TEENAGERS YOUR H EAD SHOULD BE BASHED TO BLOODY PULP

some people now join to small map servers! ai am so ****ing annoyed because i want to play small maps but all servers are empty...... YOU STUPID TEENAGERS YOUR H EAD SHOULD BE BASHED TO BLOODY PULP

Leave a comment:

• davelisowski
    Guest replied

Bigger map = more tickets = higher scores...

That's the main reason for all the 64p maps.

Which is better? It depends on play style and mood.

Leave a comment:

• GbeTech
    Guest replied

Originally posted by CowmanIII
    About the teenager thing, I'm 15 in March. Back a year ago, when I got BF2, I joined a small clan. At that point, I didn't have a mic yet, so I relied on typing in order to communicate. Two months later, The clan had grown. I was asked for information such as age, hobbies, and favorite games.(no, I did not give them my social security number). When I said "I'm 14", they were all surprised. Much of the clan had thought that I was at least 30.

About the small map thing, the rounds never last long enough for my taste. Whenever the server loads a new map, it always takes me a while to load it. Long loading times + short rounds = not much fun.
    I was 15 at December, and I totally understand you. People who generalize are so stupid, ffs. Yeah, most of the teens act childishly, but not all of them. And the number of the childish ones are reducing in each age.

Leave a comment:

• disfigured
    replied

Originally posted by Lucky Seven
    I don't like taking words out of the context, but I'll do my best to not disfigure your words.
    I actually misunderstood your logic (I think).

I assumed you were another S.A.K roxxors type poster. ;-)

You are right, the smaller versions of most maps tend to play out better then the larger ones, when playing on the average pub server, or even clan server.

As you said simply because of the fact that it's hard to find 64 players who actually care about what's going on through out the map. Most run for spawn to spawn , many giving up the one they just left.

Most of the time when I play 64 version maps I tend to take the enemy's most important spawn then defend it. I know it's likely that as soon as my squad leaves to go on the offensive, no one will stop a small and obvious force from taking it right back. It can be infuriating.

I think the only way to play large maps is to find a server that has players who at least frequent that server. I know where I play, although it's not the ultimate in total team effort , in some way players become familiar with what others do, and do well.

I think one of the biggest failures in large maps is the impatience of some players. I for instance will always check the map before moving on to a target. If you've just capped a spawn, and the nearest one that needs capping already has a squad leader and a tank at it (a quick look at the full map can reveal this), then hang tight and defend where you are.

It's a simple formula for holding more spawn points then not. Doesn't take a entire team communications either. But many people just don't seem to want to wait for the action to "come to them". They rush off to the next apposing spawn and get caught walking or are slaughtered by aircraft in route.

Rarely when you get a good commander, I find it fun to simply carry out his orders and not worry about the bigger picture. A good commander can take a ragtag bunch of players and make something happen on a big map. It doesn't happen a lot since most commanders even active ones rarely put up the purple shield. They command by reaction.

Leave a comment:

• Nimbob
    Guest replied

I prefer big spawling flag littered maps like Dragon Valley/Fushe Pass/Kubra Dam for ground pounding. Fighting is a lot more spread out and there's not really any kind of single meat grinder area because there's always an alternative flag/area to go to.

Basically everything what disfigured said, which was brilliantly put.

Leave a comment:

• LuckySeven
    Guest replied

I don't like taking words out of the context, but I'll do my best to not disfigure your words.
    Originally posted by disfigured
    If you want to engage the enemy every 20 seconds , and most likely die every 30, then small maps are where it's at. Great individual players can make a difference on those maps. Personally I just don't see that as BF strong suite. BF is only O.K at transferring a person's quick reaction and experience. Because of the way the hit detection is the playing field has been quickly leveled.
    Most small maps are not that much about CQB, and dying every 30s would bleed you too bad so you can't really do that. Even if you would like to, it's pointless because without actually winning the situation it's just waste of tickets. Great individuals make great difference in right place, but overall he can't do much. In bigger maps not-so-great individuals make even greater difference by A) letting someone cap a flag right behind his back while he's sniping some bunnyhopper 300m away. B) By capping random flags behind enemy lines after stealing a jet just to get there. Not my kind of play if you ask me. You can find a few good players, but finding 64 is next to impossible.

Small maps go right down to the wire a lot, and that is exciting, but sometimes it's just programmed attrition, and complete serendipity who actually wins. Yes one missed shot one way or the other could be the factor, and that can be exciting, but when it's every time and the only route to a win, it can get tedious.
    This, just like every other fps is all about psychology, and the easiest way to win is to make enemy do mistakes. For natural reasons huge amounts of players in big maps are not very predictable and psycholigic part is lost. Because it has so big meaning in games I find lack of it boring. Just facing faceless crowds is boring indeed.

I like to play maps that give a team the ability to "hold off" or strategically dominate another team by playing smarter and holding the right spawns at the right time. You are right though that some large maps can be just completely disjointed affairs where newer players have a better chance to survive longer. There are still servers out there like that.

But try taking a key spawn on a big map (Refinery at DV, or Central Island at Zatar) against at team that doesn't want to give it up,it can be just as challenging and exciting. I don't care if you have every flopping one shot wonder from all the greatest small maps servers across the world your not going to take a spawn on a big map that's well defended. You need to sneak in with an SL and continually flood them till you take it.
    Most 16 maps are about holding just one point or series of points. you mentioned Zatar, which in 16p is all about Central Island, however, with only Central Island you won't live long either. In maps like dragon valley main bases may switch several times during a round. If you manage to cap enemy's it means enemy is right now capping yours usually. And if enemy would play seriously, every sneaking attempt would be defeated long before it even started, that is boring sometimes, but on the other hand, when they succeed by being rapid and surprising enough they feel much better.

Ah too tired to quot you anymore, just say a few words: It's true, big maps are great,they are like many small maps jointed together. One fight is going over enemy uncap, one at some other point and then there are places which are absolutely unimportant. The problem however, is that it's impossible to find so many good players that you could ever play a good 64 round. I've never played those big, organized clan matches, but they may be fun.

And you're right this game would never work with small maps only. A good team would just hold all important spawns and cap all flags in a couple of minutes. But you never can afford that point in serious company.

I've played CS and CoD, but I feel BF is still more challenging game. It has more ways for players to express themselves. CS for example has a very limited gameplay. There are not many thing s you can do, and almost every encounter is calculated already. That's where BF is on it's best. There can be a tank somewhere, maybe a chopper or just when you think you won arty rains down on you. Even if it would only have small maps it would be great. And note that small maps don't equal IO, not at all. Small maps have more vehicles per player than bigger ones, but because those are still so few they feel important and you know whats going on all the time.

Leave a comment:

• Cowman
    Guest replied

About the teenager thing, I'm 15 in March. Back a year ago, when I got BF2, I joined a small clan. At that point, I didn't have a mic yet, so I relied on typing in order to communicate. Two months later, The clan had grown. I was asked for information such as age, hobbies, and favorite games.(no, I did not give them my social security number). When I said "I'm 14", they were all surprised. Much of the clan had thought that I was at least 30.

About the small map thing, the rounds never last long enough for my taste. Whenever the server loads a new map, it always takes me a while to load it. Long loading times + short rounds = not much fun.

Leave a comment:

• LightBred
    Guest replied

I like long battles myself.

Leave a comment:

• eddyeddyd
    Guest replied

Originally posted by mohammed hussein
    All people who dislike small maps should be banned. People who only want to die for spawn rape and camp for planes should be banned too!

Whiny teenagers just only care their stats! Big maps are too large and action is generally too scattered! But that doesn't bother you because you just want to camp planess!

Most chinese maps are so much different and bettter with when they are small! but most teenage players here don't care such things!

ban on you!

:nod:

YEEEESSS i JUST learned the glory of small maps, karkand 16 size is a totaly different gameplay feeling, the uav and commander scan prevents 99% of attempts to circumvent the main force to the market in the back, this results in a serious frontline with each side moving as one and somehow sharing the same mind and knowing when to atatck defend and counter atatck as a team even when noone is in a squad.

GOOD POST

Originally posted by LuckySeven
    Well it lacks all the tactics, but is still great!

Wonder how many here actually know what playing this game means? Like being in a squad which crushes everything set on it's way. Where every single ticket is count and every single bullet is shot with fury and every conquered flag feels like winning the entire tournament.
    love that feeling especially the flag one, sometimes when a flag is constantly being attacked by both sides that for most of the battle it stays neutral and moves up and down, when you finally capture it and just plain push the enemy back and you KNOW that this time its yours for good, thats the bf2 feeling.

Leave a comment:

• buteonidae
    replied

you fool you are just a n00b

small maps are actually easier! Chances that someone shoot ytuor back are lower and risk of dying for spawn rape are lower too!

Yes everything is so nerfed! everything! There are so many annoyances in this game! Actually I think that many bf1942 maps worked very well!
    :laugh: FoolNoob haha stfu twat.

Leave a comment:

• mohammed hussein
    Guest replied

Originally posted by daliup
    That's the most stupid thing I've ever read.
    you fool you are just a n00b

small maps are actually easier! Chances that someone shoot ytuor back are lower and risk of dying for spawn rape are lower too!

Yes everything is so nerfed! everything! There are so many annoyances in this game! Actually I think that many bf1942 maps worked very well!

Leave a comment:

• Monkmonkman
    replied

Originally posted by You_were_killedby
    16 maps only have the action in one place and its just not as exciting. like playing russian roulet with an unloaded pistol.
    And thats why ET:QW>>BF series

In BF2, everyone wonders around randomly, so 64 will make it populated. In QW, most people must try to complete an objective, so the battle takes place in one spot, thus making it much better. BF2 8v8 matches have more action that 90% of 64 player servers, which is why people play 64 people, to get that feeling that it is populated, but in reality, there just another person wondering around, not doing anything, hopeing to find another guy wondering around doing nothing :hmm:

Leave a comment:

• booya8
    Guest replied

It usually depends on the mood i'm in.

but most of the time i love 20-32 poeple on a 64 karkand / jala map, a lot of points and alot of teamwork. If its another map then usually i go small especialy on Kubra, that map sucks on large, takes 2 hours for 1 game.

Leave a comment:

• disfigured
    replied

I kinda agree with you, but same rules as always apply: Noobs and other players who just can't play like big maps because they are more free and less demanding. Those who are looking for challenge play small maps.
    Depends one what you consider playing BF2 is. If you consider the game just a graphically superior twitchy shooter, then your right. If you consider it a game where not just total kills by one particular team is the way to win then no.

Just because a map doesn't involve as much CQC battling in the course of a win doesn't mean it's not good map. Personally for me that's what is refreshing about the BF series. I've been playing FPSs for quite a while now, simply learning all the angles and getting patten moves down is fun, but it's getting tiresome. Been there, done that with about 3 other shooters till my eyes bled at 3am.

If you want to engage the enemy every 20 seconds , and most likely die every 30, then small maps are where it's at. Great individual players can make a difference on those maps. Personally I just don't see that as BF strong suite. BF is only O.K at transferring a person's quick reaction and experience. Because of the way the hit detection is the playing field has been quickly leveled.

Small maps go right down to the wire a lot, and that is exciting, but sometimes it's just programmed attrition, and complete serendipity who actually wins. Yes one missed shot one way or the other could be the factor, and that can be exciting, but when it's every time and the only route to a win, it can get tedious.

I like to play maps that give a team the ability to "hold off" or strategically dominate another team by playing smarter and holding the right spawns at the right time. You are right though that some large maps can be just completely disjointed affairs where newer players have a better chance to survive longer. There are still servers out there like that.

But try taking a key spawn on a big map (Refinery at DV, or Central Island at Zatar) against at team that doesn't want to give it up,it can be just as challenging and exciting. I don't care if you have every flopping one shot wonder from all the greatest small maps servers across the world your not going to take a spawn on a big map that's well defended. You need to sneak in with an SL and continually flood them till you take it. Your squad needs to fight off vehicles by re-spawning with the proper kits. A timely air or arty strike in coordination with the pilot or commander helps too. It can be Squad based effort or have help from nearly the entire team.

IO and small maps are popular, but that doesn't make them superior, or inferior for that matter. Just different.

Twitchy play does no good in big maps, as much as stealthy patient play doesn't do much good on some small maps. Each is a learned skill and knowledge. Keeping yourself and your squad in situations where you don't have to play reactionary is just as hard as actually being a good reactionary player. Knowing where and when to be. Taking the "backroads" and less traveled routes and knowing them well. Hell even getting around DV and Fushee Pass is something that takes time. Personally I believe the best kill in BF is the one where you take no risk at all. The one where you position yourself with the least risk of death. Shoot em in the back, if they spin around and get 2 people, there are two more respawning on the SL right behind those two. Eventually even the greatest players lose out to the hoards coming from an unknown location.

Very true.

This game was designed for 16p more or less competitive play. I don't mean clan play, but for people who have brains and who love fps and play to win. Bigger maps were added to make the game sell better, but then EA realized 90% of the players were not die-hard fps players but casual noobs hunting unlocks. And out of the window goes all the plans of actual developers who would rather make a game for small group of ambitious gamers than masses of noobs.

There are not many things I hate more than game developers who actually listen to whining noobs who'd just deserve to get owned.
    I don't see any sign of that in this game. The random hit detection alone rules this game out being a good CQC FPS, it's hardly twitchy at all intight, in fact it's rather clunky. Individual strength in this game is quickly leveled with only a little perseverance and practice.

It was designed this way to force the other elements in the game to be used. Granted it's a rather ham-handed way of going about it, but that was its intent. That's why you see so much manipulation of the same game mechanics over and over again to gain an advantage in CQC battles. It's the only way to get an advantage, because that much individual expertise was meant to be downplayed.

Personally I think it's the other way around. EA designed a game that attempts to force squad play. Hectic and twitchy on small maps, stealthy and deliberate on bigger maps. Almost every element in the game is geared towards squad play and spawn management. There's so many alternate ways to win other then just killing more people then the other side. Making it impossible for the other team to kill more of you by simply holding the superior spawns is one basic way. Eliminating assets and allowing the commander rain down terror more then the apposing commander, is another. There are many ways. If you manage the spawns correctly the apposing team will be down by 100, with no way of getting the tickets back with an equally managed attack. It doesn't have to come down to the 3 best players on each side racking up mega-kills, it can be much more devious and subtle.

Some people didn't like that , so they decided to play it like every other shooter that ever came before it. That's their prerogative. Hence the addition of IO mode, since there were so many. Yes it's a popular way to play, but that doesn't mean BF2 was made incorrectly. If you ask most players who like this sort of gameplay they'll tell you that the hit detection needs to be fixed or more accurate . Yes it needs to be "fixed" for the way they play, but not for what BF2 was designed to be. On larger maps it's just not all that important what the best player can do as an individual. When you need smaller maps, more accurate hit detection, and no vehicles to make BF what you like, your talking about an entirely different game. Not one that was designed badly, or has elements in that are just fluff to make it look like something it's not.

EA nerfs things because that's the direction of their vision, not the other way around. They do so also because the game is better suited for a nerfing then it is to be cranked up to the point where it's like other CQC shooters. Even though small maps are very popular and I would say over half (but not by much) players prefer the type of play your describing, they still don't change it towards that. So IO was bone thrown to those players.

Hey I hated it when I first started. I was coming from RB6 and RogueSpear community. Hell even re-spawning made me pissed, "why should I have to kill someone twice", was the way I looked at it. I even ditched conquest mode in BF42' for CTF because I recognized that it was the better team mode of play, and took advantage of what 42' was better at.

Personally I think there are better games out there for getting that feeling when your trying to take Square and Hotel, but that's just me. If you put aside any individual ego about how good you can be (which is hard for a hard-core FPS player till this series), the game does have a lot to offer. I think it has more to offer then trying to play it like something it's not.

Leave a comment:

• 33TheGame33
    Guest replied

All people who dislike small maps should be banned. People who only want to die for spawn rape and camp for planes should be banned too!

Whiny teenagers just only care their stats! Big maps are too large and action is generally too scattered! But that doesn't bother you because you just want to camp planess!

Most chinese maps are so much different and bettter with when they are small! but most teenage players here don't care such things!

ban on you!
    Stop making assumptions. I'm not a whiny teenager, if I only cared for stats why do I play OPK, AI, and PR more than I do vanilla? And .. really that's your opinion about small maps, really I hate small maps. Every time I turn a corner a thousand hackers await you with aimbot.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X