• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VC_Resurrected
    Guest replied
    Re: Angry with the M95

Originally posted by cantina_fly
    Silly question, and the answer may be obvious, but how do you know how far away your target is? I've never really had a reason to know, as I'm usually "If I can see it, I can kill it." But I see a lot of sniper advice "At 100m or less do this..." "Beyond 250m do this..." So is there some way to get an exact number?
    Im not quite sure myself, but under flags you usually get a meter reading of the distance, so you can use that as a rough guide i guess.

Leave a comment:

• Cantina_Fly
    replied

Silly question, and the answer may be obvious, but how do you know how far away your target is? I've never really had a reason to know, as I'm usually "If I can see it, I can kill it." But I see a lot of sniper advice "At 100m or less do this..." "Beyond 250m do this..." So is there some way to get an exact number?

Leave a comment:

• BigRedRat
    Guest replied

I have used all the sniper rifles and I must say they all have their uses depending on the map and the situation.The M95 is by far superior at long range.To date my best shot with the M95 is 393 meters.The best I have acheived with the L96 is 312 meters.I use the SVD for close to mid range fighting.You can't beat it for those chaotic urban battles.I rarely use the M24 any more because quite frankly,it does'nt seem to fit most situations I find myself in.Lag has a great deal to do with how well the sniper class performs.I choose servers with a 50 ping or less when I feel like scoping a few heads.Even tho I acheived expert sniper sometime ago I still enjoy making those impossible shots.Chopper pilots beware.If you like hovering over a cp and I can see you,Im gonna pop your head like a mellon.

Leave a comment:

• WolfAlmighty
    replied

I know what you mean about hit detection and the M95, though, and it's not an M95-only thing. I played some rounds yesterday that were, for a change, lag-free (for the most part...occasional hiccup now and then) and what a difference it makes. Sniper rifles go from being frustrating one-shot wusses to killing machines, although I use the L96 (or M24 if I'm US) more than the M95. But I was able to make those quick scope-up/shoot/kill shots and even hit targets at a full sprint because there was no lag. Sounds to me more like you were having a problem with lag than you were the M95. I think hit detection errors and lag hurt snipers/sniper rifles more than anything else simply because snipers rely on one clean bullet and if it doesn't hit due to packet loss/lag you notice it right away, whereas with ARs or carbines you're either spewing out loads of bullets on full auto so if one doesn't register you won't even notice or you're going at long range and if you miss you just chalk it up to deviation. When you're lag-free sniper is an insanely fun class to play, even with the M95.

~Wolfgang

Leave a comment:

• venny
    Guest replied

m95 is good at shooting out chopper and jet pilots. its nice to see the bewildered look they have when they get shot out.

Leave a comment:

• Jumintiger
    replied

I forgot who gave us that video on youtube, it's absolute crap. On most of the maps he is singleplayer and on the one where he blows up up the jet he gets a team mate to ram the jet. If you pause and zoom in on the kill messages there are none with the M95, only "someone is no more" messages.

If I'm in an urban environment I choose either the SVD or the L96A1, except for SF, where I choose the M95 over the M24 and either the SVD or M95 depending on the situation. Sometimes I like the feel of the SVD where I don't have to reload, but then after a while the M95 will just come up to me and shout "USE ME I'M BETTER THAN THAT LITTLE SEMI AUTO DUDE" and I just get one shot into the body then a pistol shot, and there you go.

Leave a comment:

• Cantina_Fly
    replied

Originally posted by The Soup Nazi
    Here's a tip for aspiring snipers: Map another button to fire that is on your keyboard. I noticed that my crosshairs sometimes moved while I was trying to hit targets with my fire button on my mouse. Not so with it on the keyboard.
    I have heard of this helping more than one person. Use your normal mouse1 for more "twitch" shots, but for the one's where you're prone at long range, it helps keep the x-hairs from moving when you click.

I hadn't used the M95 since 1.03 and started using it again recently while playing SF. Much better then I remember. I also have a new rig that gets me much better FPS at higher resolutions, which I think helps also. I just recently got my first chopper & jet kills with it. That's proof enough for me.

Leave a comment:

• [2bit]Modmaven
    Guest replied

It's not a matter of certiain classes being useless. All classes have their uses, just some classes have more to offer the team then others, specifically those with extra abilities (heal/revive, ammo, repair, etc). He does seem to be going from the bottom of the barrel as far as useful classes though. Flash me an expert medic or anti-tank badge, then we are getting somewhere!!

Leave a comment:

• The Soup Nazi
    Guest replied

The M95, for me, is a great rifle. The problem with it, though, is the fact that from one round to the next it can be very finicky. I may get loads of headshots one round and nothing but misses the next. Since my sniping style didn't change between the rounds, I can only assume that it's due to ping fluctuations.

Here's a tip for aspiring snipers: Map another button to fire that is on your keyboard. I noticed that my crosshairs sometimes moved while I was trying to hit targets with my fire button on my mouse. Not so with it on the keyboard.

If there was one thing about the M95 that they should change is that if you headshot a guy, he should not be able to be revived.

Leave a comment:

• AlphaNut
    Guest replied

How many times have I given that sneaky bastid of a specops a headshot just before he could detonate the charges that he planted on the tank.
    And how often have I decimated whole squads trying to cap a flag by killing one after the other.
    And how often have I saved your sorry butt from this other sniper who was just about to put a big hole in your head...

No, I don't think that the sniper class is useless.
    It is useless if too many people on a team are playing as snipers though - I agree with this point.

Leave a comment:

• blue_piglet
    Guest replied

Yes, the snipers usually keep some distance from his team. But it doesn't mean he is not doing teamwork.
    All the classes in the game are useful. The haters are either don't know how to master the class or got owned too much by that class.

Leave a comment:

• Absurdus
    Guest replied

Originally posted by tomhead76
    Snipers are the worst non-teamwork players in the game. I would suggest using a different kit, preferably one that helps your team like medic, support etc.

I've lost count of how many times I've watched a guy going in to cap a flag and sit there and take it while I've taken ~3 guys out trying to get him.... Sniper can be very handy if use correctly..........

Leave a comment:

• fubars
    Guest replied

I shot a chopper down last night with the M95 got myself two kills, but it came up that I had used a stinger !!!!

Leave a comment:

• DutchMillman
    Guest replied

@ Tomhead
    Snipers are the worst non-teamwork players in the game. I would suggest using a different kit, preferably one that helps your team like medic, support etc.

Well I beg to differ. Being a sniper I spot and spot and spot, everything I get in my sights I call out to my teammates. And I guarantee you that it has saved them massive killes and gave them tons of killing opportunities! A sniper won't rush in in the front lines, but he'll be lying and waiting there for you to come, spotting targets and taking out the foe behind you're back!

Leave a comment:

• tomhead76
    Guest replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X