• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flares
    Guest replied
    Re: My AA rant

Originally posted by =IMO=THJones
    what the heck have you been smoking dude? on oman i can man an AA, in comes a jet and i cant lock on to him untill i could throw a rock at him and by then its too late...

i long for the prepatch days when you stood a chance on AA and jets had to consider it a possible threat....
    You're ignoring the obvious. The SAMs aren't point defence weapons. You shoot planes when they're crossing your line of view, or flying away from you. Not when they're heading straight at you. On Oman it's damned easy (presuming a tank or sniper doesn't get you first.. ) to knock down jets, simply by shooting them when they're after another target, then getting the hell out of the emplacement and into cover. Using a little teamwork, by having more than one sam emplacement manned, guarantees you'll be racking up jet kills between you and a team mate... If you see a particular base is being attacked regularly, spawn at the next base with a sam emplacement... bingo. It's called having situational awareness and using tactics...

Leave a comment:

• troybob
    replied

Originally posted by Skwurl
    Way to back paddle.

We all know that's what you really meant.

ooooooooooook.

Leave a comment:

• DrJambo
    replied

Originally posted by Rub-UFS-
    I'm still waiting for the day when people in this community will actually take the time to ADAPT to gameplay rather than whining about everything.

They whine for changes, it gets changed, then they whine about the changed changes.... the cycle goes on and on.

You will become a 'good' player when you can adapt to changing variables. Stop wasting your time posting in here and go learn HOW to take down jets in static AA. It IS possible. You probably won't take then down on their 1st straffe. But if you register a hit, jets take a LONG time to repair over the airfield. So chances are they will come back at you still damaged. Wait, and hit them again and they're toast. Simple as that. It's not rocket science people. Just stop and THINK for once.

"Duhhh, what the heck... I clicked the mouse and he didn't die!"
    "They need to change AA so they get taken down w/ 2 missiles. Then I'll pwn!"
    These sort of generic "people must adapt" posts are nonsense and a complete waste of space. After nearly 400 hrs of BF2 playing time over the course of the last year, I think the time for "adaptation" as you call it has long since past.

BF2 is not a new game and many who post here will be of the experienced variety.

Leave a comment:

• Rub-UFS-
    Guest replied

I'm still waiting for the day when people in this community will actually take the time to ADAPT to gameplay rather than whining about everything.

They whine for changes, it gets changed, then they whine about the changed changes.... the cycle goes on and on.

You will become a 'good' player when you can adapt to changing variables. Stop wasting your time posting in here and go learn HOW to take down jets in static AA. It IS possible. You probably won't take then down on their 1st straffe. But if you register a hit, jets take a LONG time to repair over the airfield. So chances are they will come back at you still damaged. Wait, and hit them again and they're toast. Simple as that. It's not rocket science people. Just stop and THINK for once.

"Duhhh, what the heck... I clicked the mouse and he didn't die!"
    "They need to change AA so they get taken down w/ 2 missiles. Then I'll pwn!"

Leave a comment:

• DrJambo
    replied

Originally posted by Churrasco
    I am a horrible jet pilot, but I can say AA's are a headache for choppers. Unless you have a good gunner and/or a good pilot, it is very easy to kill choppers with the AA.

Yes, it is still possible to wipe the AA with the TV-Missile before it locks on you, but surviving in a chopper is more difficult than surviving in a plane. The only chance a chopper have to kill an AA from a distance is the TV missile. Not all gunners can do this, and the worst part is avoiding incoming missiles.

Once you've released flares, it's game over; you can do any acrobacies you want but there is a 98% of chance that the missiles WILL HIT you. And remember that choppers can't get out of the AA range as fast as jets because they ARE slower.
    This is exactly the reason why the game's design of "one AA suits all" is completely flawed. The current AA in 1.3 are fine against choppers, but completely useless against jets unless of course you get lucky and manage to score a hit on a heavily damaged jet.

The lock range of the static AA is far too low to properly defend against the jets. We all know why and there's no point is regurgitating this for the umpteenth time.

As to whether DICE can find a more suitable balance between static AA and jets without crippling choppers by the time 1.4 is released, I seriously doubt. So, the best suggestion is to play on maps which have mobile AA - they at least provide some defence against jets - or play on maps that don't have jets. Or play Armored Fury - there's a much nicer balance there.

Leave a comment:

• Chris_Redfield
    replied

Originally posted by HowieMandel
    Chris.....perhaps if the spawn times weren't what? 19 seconds, where a new plane spawns, after you kill a plane or down a plane..... Its alittle senseless in the end anyways, to coordinate a squad, because it would take a squad, to do this purposed Teamwork you speak of, to man a few different AA sites scattered around the map.(s) The effort to do this compared to spawn times, makes it a big waste....in the end.
    As far as just jumping in AA and click click and get out.......you are right. That is what most LONG TERM PLAYERS do in this game. ONLY the noobs typically sit in those forever. DOnt make me say it, please, but............thats because they are death traps. They absolutely suck at downing jets. I mean you get a lock on tone, you shoot. There is no skill involved. Other then launching them at stupid angles........its a point and click weapon. (heat seeking) Although not sure what heat source they are seeking, must be.....a hot pocket in the air or something.......cuz it 90% of the time aint the plane.
    You got a better shot at shooting down a friendly that is on the other side of the map, by accident, then you do shooting at the TONE LOCKED ON target you just shot at. Thats fact. Not some stupid opinion.
    My best advice. Take static AAs as scarecrows for jets. They wont take them out 100%, but they do scare them, waste their time, and buy your team some breathing space.

While Mobile AA is the jet hunter, offensive weapon.

Leave a comment:

• Skwurl
    Guest replied

Originally posted by HowieMandel
    SAY NO TO WHINING PUNKS ON THESE FORUMS.

thats a nice sig.

problem with that sig..........is the whiners lately are the folks that are using the macros, the hacks, the glitches the cheats...........

All those guys that USED to whine, to which you sig actually points to....

arnt even playing anymore. They moved on, because of the likes of the current whiners. Whom by the way.......as in most games that are about to die.....( bf2, yes its close, sorry, you know it is) Is its usually all the lames playing in the end. Have fun playiing with each other lames!!!

Hope someones macros, and aimbots, are better then someone elses.
    Sure pal.

Leave a comment:

• HowieMandel
    Guest replied

SAY NO TO WHINING PUNKS ON THESE FORUMS.

thats a nice sig.

problem with that sig..........is the whiners lately are the folks that are using the macros, the hacks, the glitches the cheats...........

All those guys that USED to whine, to which you sig actually points to....

arnt even playing anymore. They moved on, because of the likes of the current whiners. Whom by the way.......as in most games that are about to die.....( bf2, yes its close, sorry, you know it is) Is its usually all the lames playing in the end. Have fun playiing with each other lames!!!

Hope someones macros, and aimbots, are better then someone elses.

Leave a comment:

• Skwurl
    Guest replied

Originally posted by troybob
    sheesh

i said "man" not "use". My argument is pure logic. manning any vehicle takes zero skill. Am I wrong?
    Way to back paddle.

We all know that's what you really meant.

Leave a comment:

• HowieMandel
    Guest replied

Originally posted by Chris_Redfield
    There are some fine AA guides, from people who know what they are doing in the AA. Mentality of most people in AA seems like this-

"jump in, click 2 times, jump out, proceed groundpounding". And while this works against IMMINENT and CLOSE threat, namely choppers, this doesnt work that well against threats that come from out of nowhere and fly off to nowhere. What Im getting at, is static AAs are against threats on the battlefield, as defensive units. NOT offensive units.

And since the jet is superior to static AA, it will take combined efforts of multiple AAs to take down a good pilot in a jet. Which brings us the magic word of teamwork.

Chris.....perhaps if the spawn times weren't what? 19 seconds, where a new plane spawns, after you kill a plane or down a plane..... Its alittle senseless in the end anyways, to coordinate a squad, because it would take a squad, to do this purposed Teamwork you speak of, to man a few different AA sites scattered around the map.(s) The effort to do this compared to spawn times, makes it a big waste....in the end.
    As far as just jumping in AA and click click and get out.......you are right. That is what most LONG TERM PLAYERS do in this game. ONLY the noobs typically sit in those forever. DOnt make me say it, please, but............thats because they are death traps. They absolutely suck at downing jets. I mean you get a lock on tone, you shoot. There is no skill involved. Other then launching them at stupid angles........its a point and click weapon. (heat seeking) Although not sure what heat source they are seeking, must be.....a hot pocket in the air or something.......cuz it 90% of the time aint the plane.
    You got a better shot at shooting down a friendly that is on the other side of the map, by accident, then you do shooting at the TONE LOCKED ON target you just shot at. Thats fact. Not some stupid opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Chris_Redfield
    replied

The fact is at the current level of AA Lock Range any noob pilot stands a better chance of being the victor than an experiance AA person. Any one who thinks AA is good enough I CHALLANGE YOUTO COME TO OUR SERVER AND FIND ME, I will introduce you to our pilots that will kill you 100% of the time. This is where my rant comes from a good pilot means the AA might as well not even be there. Its useless.
    Currently, this falls down to this- time spent in jets, experience gained in countering threats is not matched by limited AA experience of most people.

There are some fine AA guides, from people who know what they are doing in the AA. Mentality of most people in AA seems like this-

"jump in, click 2 times, jump out, proceed groundpounding". And while this works against IMMINENT and CLOSE threat, namely choppers, this doesnt work that well against threats that come from out of nowhere and fly off to nowhere. What Im getting at, is static AAs are against threats on the battlefield, as defensive units. NOT offensive units.

And since the jet is superior to static AA, it will take combined efforts of multiple AAs to take down a good pilot in a jet. Which brings us the magic word of teamwork.

Besides, Oman is small enough for dogfighters to keep the skies clean.

Leave a comment:

• =IMO=THJones
    Guest replied

The fact is at the current level of AA Lock Range any noob pilot stands a better chance of being the victor than an experiance AA person. Any one who thinks AA is good enough I CHALLANGE YOUTO COME TO OUR SERVER AND FIND ME, I will introduce you to our pilots that will kill you 100% of the time. This is where my rant comes from a good pilot means the AA might as well not even be there. Its useless.

Leave a comment:

• Chris_Redfield
    replied

what the heck have you been smoking dude? on oman i can man an AA, in comes a jet and i cant lock on to him untill i could throw a rock at him and by then its too late...

i long for the prepatch days when you stood a chance on AA and jets had to consider it a possible threat....
    You mean 1.2? When people in the AA were screaming "Yeah, fvcking planewhore. PWNED biatch!!!", because their missiles hit EVERY SINGLE TIME! Through flares, with sharpest turns you can make. Rebounded from oil towers and whatnot.

While some people considered that a threat and exciting competition, newbies thought it was horrible for them to learn flying.

Leave a comment:

• =IMO=THJones
    Guest replied

Originally posted by Churrasco
    The AA is already overpowered the way it is now.

The fact is, it requires ZERO skill to man an AA station or AA vehicle, so to the hell with that.

Leave a comment:

• Flares
    Guest replied

if i can see them with my own two eyes then the stinger SHOULD be able to lock onto them, it can in real life anyways
    1. The static Stinger missiles work fine for me, no problems hitting jets. The only time I don't get a lock tone is when they're very far away around the "fog zone". Fire when they're either flying away from you or across your line of view, wait until the plane has dropped countermeasures and you re-acquire a lock. Helicopters are Stinger/Igla cannon fodder. Mobile AAA murders helos and jets.

2. Stingers irl are not as good as you think, they're designed with approx a 60% expected hit rate and are a low level missile system. Iglas are about the same. They don't always kill and often miss. A good example is the DHL jet which was hit by an Igla (SAM-7) MANPAD over Baghdad. The first missile struck an engine. A second missile was fired and missed the big assed slow flying, and already on fire Airbus 300 cargo plane. If the plane had countermeasures, both may have missed.

If you're going to bring "Irl" into it, then the Stingers and Iglas in game are probably near perfect representations, relative to the arcade game mechanics and small area of the maps.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X