Different Memory Voltages... Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different Memory Voltages... Help

I just bought 1GB of OCZ memory from newegg and I noticed that it is 2.1V. Will this matter because I dont believe my current ram is the same voltage?

Re: Different Memory Voltages... Help

What mobo do you have?

Well, it couldn't hurt to try it. The lowest your old memory could be rated for is 1.8V. So at worst you'd be applying .3V too much to your old RAM. Same thing as adding voltage when OC'ing. I say try it.

Comment

I would imagine most modern ram would be able to hold at 2.1V. But i would be careful about going an anywhere over 2.3V

Comment

I got the pc in 2005, I don't know the motherboard. Nothing can detect what it is and it wasn't on the dell invoice.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it. Knowing Dell, the motherboard will probably just run your both your new and old memory at 1.8 volts, no matter what they're rated for.

That's what my Dell motherboard did for my two sticks of high performance Corsair memory.

Comment

It will also run them at the speed of the slowest memory.

They are compatible types of RAM right. Cos you dont want DDR and DDR2...

Comment

Originally posted by alex98uk View Post
              They are compatible types of RAM right. Cos you dont want DDR and DDR2...
              Yes, both ddr2. How can I check the voltage of the old sticks? Just look in the BIOS?

Comment

I installed the memory and my BIOS has them running at 400mhz when they are rated for 800mhz (PC6400). How can I increase it?

Comment

Working...
                X