Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    kmkz Guest

    Looky what I found

    http://www.poestats.com

    Comments? Criticism? It's still being developed, so if you see random error messages don't be concerned

    We're currently only collecting stats from the OBS server, as they are our beta testers. We will soon be opening it all up to the masses, but we would first like to see how you guys are feeling about all this.

  2. #2
    HaVOCK-ElEEt Guest

    Re: Looky what I found

    Not interested in stats, of any kind. Although it might get more people playing the mod, which is the sadest fact of all.

  3. #3
    CQ-Reborn Guest

    Re: Looky what I found

    I dont know if thats the saddest thing of all, I think your number 1 player having an overall accuracy of .14% is pretty sad too :O

  4. #4
    kmkz Guest

    Re: Looky what I found

    Damn you guys are good! Thanks for that little .14% thing, that was a bug - I forgot to multiply your percentage times 100 to get it into a proper number. I fixed it now. Thanks!

    Any more issues you find, let me know

  5. #5

    Re: Looky what I found

    Quote Originally Posted by HaVOCK-ElEEt
    Not interested in stats, of any kind. Although it might get more people playing the mod, which is the sadest fact of all.
    I have to say I agree. More people playing = good. It's just a shame that they need stats to bring them here.

    Kudos to the PoE2 team for putting in the effort. I just hope quality of play doesn't suffer.

  6. #6
    [AK]Nuts Guest

    Re: Looky what I found

    booo to stats.

  7. #7
    imported_jerryhopper Guest

    Re: Looky what I found

    Quote Originally Posted by kmkz
    http://www.poestats.com

    Comments? Criticism? It's still being developed, so if you see random error messages don't be concerned

    We're currently only collecting stats from the OBS server, as they are our beta testers. We will soon be opening it all up to the masses, but we would first like to see how you guys are feeling about all this.
    Error messages are the least of my worries.


    Sign up for an account on the website. Your account on this website is tied to your BattleField 2 account. This means that the playername, email and password that you enter must be those of your BF2 account. This is so that your identity cannot be stolen.
    So, you have to give out your Gamespy login/pass?
    next to the fact that its not allowed to harvest these things, connecting to gamespy with someone-elses account is breaks gamespy TOS.

    Then, all those people that bought their Battlefield2, have great scores on the official EA, have to hand out their account details?

    So if the website gets compromised, there is somebody with a ****load of Gamespy accounts.... and passwords!

    With the 'electronic' purchasing system of EA's expansion packs, and 2142 the gamespyID of the user acts like its passport ( linked to purchased content )

    Now do you want to pass out your passport?

  8. #8
    kmkz Guest

    Re: Looky what I found

    hm no not completely. We do not store the Gamespy login information, we simply open a socket connection to their account validation service to see if you typed your account login details correctly. If you're who you say you are then we let you in, no worries. We don't store anything sensitive besides your site password, which is encrypted (no, not with the potentially reversible MD5). Therefore, there is no security and/or privacy issue.

    The reason we do this is we will let you administer your player account profile through this login system, and if we don't know who you are we can't protect the profiles of other players.

    It seems I'm not getting a warm reception here. Are there any suggestions you have that would make my system more palatable? All I'm trying to do is set up a system similar to the old BF-Tracks.net site, which I don't think anyone objected to. At any rate I'm posting here for your feedback, so I'm glad for any little tidbit of feeling on my work.

    Thanks again

  9. #9

    Re: Looky what I found

    kmkz, I believe your efforts are worthy and good work on getting it together

    I just personally hate the way the persistent stats system in BF2 tends to diminish teamwork in favour of more kills and better values. Don't get me wrong, I understand why PoE2 is taking this direction and applaud your hard work, I just wish stats woudn't be needed to make this mod more popular, because it's so awesome as it is

    I realise that there are players who still love teamwork and put the victory of their team over their personal goals (even with the stats system), but I'd wager that they're in the minority

  10. #10
    imported_jerryhopper Guest

    Re: Looky what I found

    Quote Originally Posted by kmkz
    hm no not completely. We do not store the Gamespy login information, we simply open a socket connection to their account validation service to see if you typed your account login details correctly. If you're who you say you are then we let you in, no worries. We don't store anything sensitive besides your site password, which is encrypted (no, not with the potentially reversible MD5). Therefore, there is no security and/or privacy issue.

    The reason we do this is we will let you administer your player account profile through this login system, and if we don't know who you are we can't protect the profiles of other players.

    It seems I'm not getting a warm reception here. Are there any suggestions you have that would make my system more palatable? All I'm trying to do is set up a system similar to the old BF-Tracks.net site, which I don't think anyone objected to. At any rate I'm posting here for your feedback, so I'm glad for any little tidbit of feeling on my work.

    Thanks again
    There is no such thing as a verification service on gamespy.

    you can open a socket connection, and login with that users details.
    if the login succeeds, you verified the user.

    Again, this is against Gamespy TOS. doesnt matter what reasons you give.

    http://corp.ign.com/user-agreement.html
    E. Limits on Use of the Services. You agree not engage in any of the following: (i) use any automated means, including, without limitation, agents, robots, scripts, or spiders, to access, monitor, data scrape, copy or transfer any part of the Services or the Registration Data or other data of any User (whether individually or in the aggregate); (ii) probe, scan or test the vulnerability of the Services, or breach the security or authentication measures on the Services; (iii) reverse look-up, trace or seek to trace any information on any other User of the Services, including any IGN account not owned by you, to its source, or exploit the Services in any way where the purpose is to reveal any information, including but not limited to personal identification or information, other than your own information as provided for by the Services; (iv) take any action that imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on the infrastructure of the Services; (v) use any device, software or routine to interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working or authorized uses of the Services or with any other person's use of the Services; (vi) forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any message transmittal you send on or through the Services; and (vii) impersonate any other individual or entity or misrepresent your identity or your affiliation with another individual or entity.

    However you admit that you store the information, according to the Gamespy TOS you should not have those info's, and cannot be stored elsewhere.

    Why, do you have to store the user/pass in the first place?
    isnt it enough to verify the user, and discard the pass?

    Anyway you turn it. your violating the Terms of Service - Period!

    There is a easier/safer way to fix this, without compromising a users login/pass and without breaking the tos.

Similar Threads

  1. Possible BF2 Bug found
    By eastcoasthandle in forum Battlefield Past
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2007, 04:22 PM
  2. I just found
    By Winnuting in forum Battlefield Past
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-14-2005, 12:36 AM
  3. just found this
    By brucebeh in forum Welcome
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-08-2005, 08:10 PM
  4. Found out something
    By Super Six Three in forum Battlefield Past
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-30-2005, 09:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •