Close

Blog Entries

Felicia Day Reveals How She Lived in Fear Due to GamerGate, Immediately Gets Doxxed in Comments

Felicia Day is an actress and writer and is perhaps best known for her work on the web series The Guild, and TV shows like Supernatural, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Eureka. She has been a recurring guest on Wil Wheaton's Tabletop series. Earlier today, she put up a new blog in which she not only speaks out against GamerGate but also how the actions of the group have made it so that she has lived in fear of the very people she used to embrace.

If there’s anything I’m proud of in this world, it’s the fact that I’ve had people come up to me on the street and at conventions over the years to tell me that they feel confident to call themselves a gamer because of my work, where before they were ashamed. Hearing that kind of stuff has kept me going, against the mainstream, against all odds.

So seeing another gamer on the street used to be an auto-smile opportunity, or an entry into a conversation starting with, “Hey, dude! I love that game too!” Me and that stranger automatically had something in common: A love for something unconventional. Outsiders in arms. We had an auto-stepping stone to hurtle over human-introduction-awkwardness, into talking about something we loved together. Instant connection!

But for the first time maybe in my life, on that Saturday afternoon, I walked towards that pair of gamers and I didn’t smile. I didn’t say hello. In fact, I crossed the street so I wouldn’t walk by them. Because after all the years of gamer love and inclusiveness, something had changed in me. A small voice of doubt in my brain now suspected that those guys and I might not be comrades after all. That they might not greet me with reflected friendliness, but contempt.

I went home and was totally, utterly depressed.

She continues:

I have been terrified of inviting a deluge of abusive and condescending tweets into my timeline. I did one simple @ reply to one of the main victims several weeks back, and got a flood of things I simply couldn’t stand to read directed at me. I had to log offline for a few days until it went away. I have tried to retweet a few of the articles I’ve seen dissecting the issue in support, but personally I am terrified to be doxxed for even typing the words “Gamer Gate”. I have had stalkers and restraining orders issued in the past, I have had people show up on my doorstep when my personal information was HARD to get. To have my location revealed to the world would give a entry point for any mentally ill person who has fixated on me, and allow them to show up and make good on the kind of threats I’ve received that make me paranoid to walk around a convention alone. I haven’t been able to stomach the risk of being afraid to get out of my car in my own driveway because I’ve expressed an opinion that someone on the internet didn’t agree with.

Of course, shortly after posting this, people in the comments did exactly as we have all come to expect from Gamergate, they doxxed her. Not only that, but they again pushed forth the lie that Gamergate was not and is not about harassing women or people related to the gaming industry. They again said how Gamergate has not doxxed or released private information about anyone, which is a flat out lie.

Image via Twitter

You can (and should) read Day's full entry on her thoughts on GamerGate. As a result of comments like the ones seen in the above image, Day has disabled Disqus comments on her blog.

2. Felicia is awesome and one of my favorite people.

3. I've been arguing with a gamergate supporter on the discussion thread of a webcomic that mentioned it and it's been highly hilarious.

What I've been trying to pin him down is to get him to say what he's trying to accomplish and how. He refuses and dodges the issue, blaming everyone else around him for attacking him and still refusing to say what he actually wants to see accomplished.

The only details I've gotten out of him are that A) The media doesn't spread information about things GamerGate has done right because they're slanted against GamerGate, B) Leah Alexander should be "held accountable" (whatever the heck that's supposed to mean) for being mad at Intel, and C) That game reviews with feminist ideology should be segregated from game reviews without feminist ideology.

First off, A is probably untrue, and even if it is, the bad far outweighs the good. Secondly, B is vague, and without a clear idea of "What should be done" you just put up a name and wait for psychos to come along and harass her for you, and C is just plain stupid and pushing your own agenda at the expense of others, which is what they CLAIM feminism is doing. So basically the definition of hypocrisy.

I dig and dig through the rhetoric of "ethics in journalism" and that's STILL the only thing I can find from a person who claims 'noble intentions.' It's like he can't come up with anything to say but the rhetoric he's been brainwashed into by the mob mentality.

The ONLY thing he can do is continue to attack and attack and attack "sjw's" and try to point out their flaws and such and I'm like "dude, that's got nothing to do with you or ethics in journalism. Do you have an agenda or not, and if so, what is it?" He can't answer. It's hilarious. If it wasn't so sad.

Blog Entries
    A) Gamergate hasn't accomplished one positive change. Not a single thing.

They think they're doing something pure and noble: http://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInActi...mportant_that/

That is literally how disillusioned they all are. They've done nothing but harass women. They've done nothing but harass advertisers with mass email campaigns that have them lying to these companies and pressuring them to pull ads from sites that they don't agree with.

In fact, that post concludes with the following:

"...love of the game and acceptance of those who share our love for it" Bullshit. They're going after women who share a "love of the game." They're going after journalists and those in the industry who share a "love of the game."

They went from lying about it being about journalistic integrity and ethics to now being about a consumer revolt.

They are, to put it simply, full of shit. They never had a clear message. They never had a clear goal. It's because of this that they will never have any actual, FACTUAL response to give anybody that questions them or their motives. It falls right in line with them essentially being a hate mob at best and a cult at worst.

Seriously, read some of the descriptions for what constitutes a cult and a cult following and you will see a tremendous amount of parallels between Gamergate supporters and some of the worst, most insane cults in history: http://people.howstuffworks.com/cult.htm

And B) Oh yeah, they really brought up Leigh Alexander huh? But it's not about her! It's not about women in the industry! Bullshit.

C) Ahahahhahahhahaha... HAHAHAHAHHAAAHAH... Oh God, what a bunch of tools.

5. Looks like the GamerGate scoreboard has been updated with some new data (I see a new line added as well). Probably fake data as a joke though. Still accurate enough to prove a point though.

http://gamergatescoreboard.com/

My friends and family are urging me to join social media such as Facebook, but really... This is the kind of thing why I don't want to be able to Google myself. The internet scares me at this point at how much we promote terrorism through GamerGate. And those who hate GamerGate are also contributing to the violence with GamersGate's website being victims of the other side of the online vigilantes.

This is terrifying... My parents are irritated with me not following and staying up to date on the news regarding ISIS, but honestly, is it so wrong to keep a close eye on how insane this is going as well? I feel like this hits closer to home than ISIS.

One supporter of the hashtag said "We never condone the actions of such violence and threats. Think about it, what can we possibly gain from doxxing someone?" I wish to argue with, "if you want to defend this hashtag as a positive progressive movement, then for the love of all that is freaking good and holy stop the people scaring gamers worldwide! Call the cops or something and show us you are defending the hashtag by being proactive and stopping the angry people out there!"

The only thing stopping me is, I don't know how to be proactive myself. I'm not part of any movement, nor do I have a point to prove. No hashtag or anything. So do I call long-distance to the suspected person's local police and explain a long story on why this one person should be looked into? Would I leave a trail for the other to get back at me? I don't know, I'm just scared of this whole mess.

I really wished there was a way to talk to the community of the GamerGate subreddit, but the majority of the people there are good people... Which is why it's hard to convince them that their intentions are great, but the original purpose is prevailing because trolls infected the hashtag's movement long before the good people joined. So now we have all these defensive people explaining violence doesn't solve anything, and that we want solid ethics in the industry... But why the hell isn't anyone doing anything about the threats being..... ARGH FORGET IT. Anymore typing and I'm about to get a headache hearing myself loop with the same message concern, blablablabla **** THIS!

Games and the community are becoming less and less fun in my eyes now. Am I getting old?
    Last edited by K-16; 10-24-2014 at 06:55 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by K-16 View Post
    And those who hate GamerGate are also contributing to the violence with GamersGate's website being victims of the other side of the online vigilantes.
    Are you talking about 8chan? Or the "KotakuInAction" sub-reddit? Because GG doesn't have a website. They have no central area to congregate outside of 8chan or KIA or perhaps smaller groups on forum sites that put up with their stupidity.

It's not a matter of "taking sides" or being on the "side against GG." That side doesn't exist. It's not a war. It's not a game. It's just basic human decency not putting up with the bullshit from this hate group.

One supporter of the hashtag said "We never condone the actions of such violence and threats. Think about it, what can we possibly gain from doxxing someone?" I wish to argue with, "if you want to defend this hashtag as a positive progressive movement, then for the love of all that is freaking good and holy stop the people scaring gamers worldwide! Call the cops or something and show us you are defending the hashtag by being proactive and stopping the angry people out there!"
    Don't bother, this is what you're going to be dealing with if you try to argue with them:

You get the idea.

Games and the community are becoming less and less fun in my eyes now. Am I getting old?
    You're just tired of dealing with people who have never, and will never, mentally grow up.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Zipay View Post
    Are you talking about 8chan? Or the "KotakuInAction" sub-reddit? Because GG doesn't have a website. They have no central area to congregate outside of 8chan or KIA or perhaps smaller groups on forum sites that put up with their stupidity.
    Nope. Talking about those from the anti-Gamergate side who decided to become violent vigilantes (which is basically the same as the vigilantes of pro-Gamergate) and band together to take on the digital download service GamerSgate.com . Despite existing long before Gamergate (note the lack of "S"), these poor fellows have suffered DDOS attacks and death threats. As you said, outside of a hashtag and a few minor places, Gamergate is too disorganized to have a central hub where people band together at a source. Sadly, many anti-Gamergate do not know this and attack completely irrelevent sites (even if it is relevent, the approach is no different than pro-Gamergate).

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Zipay View Post
    It's not a matter of "taking sides" or being on the "side against GG." That side doesn't exist. It's not a war. It's not a game. It's just basic human decency not putting up with the bullshit from this hate group.
    It looks like a war to me with vigilantes on both ends of Gamergate. Pro and anti. It shouldn't be a war at all though. As you said it's not a ****ing competition to hurt everybody who shares the same interests as us. For the sake of improving ethics, we choose to hurt ourselves... God this is so meaningless and derailed beyond belief.

Don't bother, this is what you're going to be dealing with if you try to argue with them.
    I read the first set of tweets before. Second set is new to me, and is apparently even more disturbing. It's also why I don't know how to communicate with those in the kotakuinaction subreddit, as I feel like I'll get the same response as what you've found on Twitter. And yeah, I've gotten the idea. It's why I have difficulty finishing my words regarding Gamergate. I keep looping in my concerns and frustrations, which results in a headache, which results in more typing on how wrong this is, which results..... BLABLABLABLABLA **** IT!

You're just tired of dealing with people who have never, and will never, mentally grow up.
    WHERE THE **** CAN I HIDE?! I DON'T WANT ANYMORE OF THIS! I JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN WITH VIDEO GAMES WITH PEOPLE WHO LIKE VIDEO GAMES! THAT IS IT! I don't care how bad the game is! I just want to enjoy the privilege of playing a video game with people who have time to hang out. God the people in this community created a real world problem out of an activity meant to relieve stress. Just........ Stop already. This isn't fun anymore.

You're right Zips. I really am ****ing tired. I mean I'm a pretentious moron of an armchair critic (and I refuse to accept otherwise), but damn... These people are worse than me. Then again, maybe they're physically younger than me and I failed to notice being the naive moron that I am.

8. Hey, Zips? I found a more coherent pro-gamergate person to argue with. You're more knowledgeable about this than me. How much of any of this is actually true?

Games journalists have been pushing a very, very left leaning social agenda for the last few years, thanks to the industry being flooded with 20-something hipsters with cultural studies and liberal arts degrees. They're pseudo-intellectuals who resent being work horses greedy media companies while having to pander down to the gamers they bullied while they were in school (gawker media's Sam Biddle, "bring back bullying" being a prime example and Leigh Alexander's slurs and generalized hate speech that drove Intel away from Gamasutra).This message shames people for being consumers and for enjoying games with sex and violence and is actively trying to reinforce long dispelled stereotypes about violence and how it effects games. They are very heavily influenced by DiGRA, a feminist "academic research" group that has published multiple papers theorizes that if they could "reach" the games media they could "change the narrative and fundamentally alter male perspective" aka propagandist thought control.
    You've been SEVERELY misled by the games media - it is ENTIRELY about their corruption. That "ex-girlfriend" didn't leave him for a jounralist; she was sleeping around with 5 different men, around the SAME time, one of which was her married boss, and all evidence points towards her using it to curry favor for her inexplicably "critically acclaimed "game" " - Depression Quest, an html, i'm sorry flash, because there's any real difference in this case, flow chart about her subjective experience with depression that was used to shill for money for her as well as a PR platform to get her more attention in the industry.
    It came out she also sabotaged another feminist groups game jam to promote women in gaming that was directly competing with hers, which has no judges, start date or location and the money being collected was initially going into her personal paypal account. Basically she's an unethical hypocrite and her relationship with Nathan Grayson of Rock Paper Shotgun, which they outright lied about, was denied. And yesterday Quinn accidentally outed Grayson as WORKING on the game, which he then denied, affirmed and denied all in the same panicked tweet. It was discovered he was credited in her "game" and he had written several articles 1-2 years ago about her, when he wasn't have supposed to have had ANY relationship to her by the "official story". Ooops.
    After this evidence arose, there was massive censorship across the ENTIRE net for anyone talking about Zoe Quinn. To speak of what had transpired was labeled "harassment". This lead to the Streisand Effect and gamers lost their collective spaghetti at this pure horseshit.
    The games journos, rather than apologizing and cleaning up their act, published a series of 10 articles, on a single day, within HOURS of each other all declaring gamers were "dead" or "over". The pieces were hateful and vitriolic and mercilessly shamed and attacked the journalists very readers for DARING to try and hold them to a higher standard. Basically replace the word "gamer" with "black" or "jew" and the rhetoric looks AWFULLY familiar.
    Then, leaks came out that these journalists, ALL of them, even COMPETITORS, had a secret mailing list, and the emails were leaked, allowing everyone to see that these people collude on what games get covered, how it gets covered, and what games and developers get blacklisted, because of POLITICS, particularly sexuality and violence in games.
    The journo's then became issuing slam piece after slam piece and dropped a story about a fabricated bomb threat at the IGF for one, Anita Sarkeesian, another terrible human being. The thing is, no one had heard about the threat, and to not inform your audience of a threat is, in fact, a litigious issue should anyone be injured in an attack. They made this claim, and provided no proof.
    Next, the journo's began to focus their coverage on Anita Sarkeesian, the mouth piece of one Jonathan McIntosh, a "propagandist and cultural marxist" (for which he is apparently quite proud) and how she was "being harassed", which really meant the thousands of people who took offense to her videos that defamed gamers and men in general as sexist (and painted all gamers as male oppressors), culminating in a series of coordinated censorship tactics on her part with a little dose of trolling, until she let the comments on her most offensive and factually inaccurate video, where she actually outright lies regarding the game Hitman: Blood Money and it's intentions towards women and what that says about male gamers, open and then used the outrage that poured out from taking blind, broad shots at the internet to promote her kickstarter campaign, and raise about $160,000 dollars. She basically doesn't have to work as she's parlayed her liberal arts master's degree about how "there are no female heroes in games; they're all just imitating men because they use violence" (which isn't a misogynistic notion at all) she's only had for a few years into being a professional victim.
    When criticized that no gamer would speak so universally badly about games, and lie on top of it, the journalists had come out with a series of pieces trumpeting the "no true scotsman fallacy" and calling her critics "exclusionist man-babies that don't want their dudebro culture to change". And then came the video of her giving a talk during her schooling where she actually admits "I'm not a gamer, I had to learn a lot about this subject while studying it, I'm not a gamer, killing people, blowing off heads, that's just gross!" Because virtual violence is real violence, as we all know! SIIIIIIIIIGH.
    And we've spend the last 2 months fighting these peoples constant stream of hate speech against gamers of BOTH sexes, genders and every race you can think of. Research #NotYourShield - We're not all white hetero cis-males, and to make that claim is not only racist, sexist and bigoted, but also an epic fallacy that somehow that invalidates criticism.
    These people hide behind professional provocateurs and professional victims and take every opportunity to lie and twist facts to spin their narrative to deflect from their own unethical behavior, because they'll be damned if they lose their meal ticket AND their culture war now. Except we, the Gamers, the REAL victims, have been contacting these peoples sponsors and linking them to these articles and to these peoples hateful, bigoted, INSANE sounding tweets and they are pulling away from them, costing them money and they are getting very, VERY agitated.
    The Escapist and MMO-Champion have great threads on the subject with time lines and links to all the evidence and explanation videos. Sargon of Akkad and the Internet Aristocrat, two entertaining, but very clever YouTube personalities have quite a bit of info on all the people involved. Sargon is particularly known for his obsession with truth and his actual job is research, which he does to reveal the con-artists and disingenuous faux-intellectuals who are trying to harm society with their lunacy. I'd suggest you go and have a look.
    Remember to ask yourself: Does it make ANY sense that Gamers wouldn't want women, or ANYONE, for that matter to play or make games? Does it really? From an anti-male "dudebro's run the world and oppress us in the 1st world" perspective, it might. But Gamers are always looking for the next best title, and better players, so why the FUCK would we exclude ANYONE, let alone WOMEN?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thortok2000 View Post
    Hey, Zips? I found a more coherent pro-gamergate person to argue with. You're more knowledgeable about this than me. How much of any of this is actually true?
    I can almost feel the smug coming off of that quoted text, but next to none of that is true.

I stopped actually reading after his first sentence which is already bullshit. I wasn't aware that being a decent human being meant you were "left leaning." Also, I graduated with an Accounting degree and roll my eyes at hipsters.

But as for other points:
    Quinn earned no favorable coverage as a result of her sex life. That myth has been shot down time and time again. His mention of HTML/Flash isn't even a point, it's just this person slipping in an unnecessary jab against Quinn. She also did not sabotage any game jam.

You know what? Read this:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...02&postcount=5

It literally covers just about every bullshit point in that quote. These are all points of discussion that these people have brought up time and time again and have been shot down time and time again as being complete fabrications or spin.

That's how bad they are. That's literally at the point we're at. When your movement has become such a broken record that there are lists already set up to refute (with references and articles) anything you have to say, maybe it's time to just pack it in.