Close

Blog Entries

New Legend of Zelda 3DS Title Set in Same World as A Link to the Past

Today during their Nintendo Direct event, Nintendo revealed that a new Legend of Zelda game is in the works for the Nintendo 3DS.

The game is set in the same world as The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Given the gameplay mechanics introduced in the 3DS, Link can now become a 2D drawing and move along walls. Those with a 3DS can download a 3D gameplay video from the Nintendo eShop.

Look for the new Legend of Zelda for the 3DS to arrive this holiday season.

Don't like the art direction :/

But, I said the same thing about Wind Waker and it's my favorite game from the franchise.

3. I love Zelda more than any other franchise but I really can't stand the portable ones, they're so gimmicky.

The way he pops up towards the camera when changing layers, and the way the bones fly up towards the camera, that's such silly use of 3D and so very, very overdone.

While the idea of becoming a drawing on the wall to solve puzzles is interesting as a mechanic for puzzles, it really isn't interesting in the form of being a fun thing for Link to do, and doesn't seem to fit Zelda so much. It feels like another gimmick, especially by zooming the camera in real close to give a more '3D' look at a small section of your surroundings.

It feels like a mechanic that would sit better in a game entirely designed around that mechanic (much like the game Portal was designed around its mechanic) and, that said, it probably wouldn't be that great of a game anyway. It feels like it's hanging on Zelda to carry it, which in return feels like it's weighing down Zelda into something that isn't as good as Zelda should be.

That said, Zelda does carry off some really weird mechanics. Groundhog's day in Majora's Mask, werewolf in Twilight Princess. Motion controlled sword in Skyward Sword. Zelda's kind of the go-to for Nintendo to try something crazy and get away with it, mostly.

But the point is, I don't even own a 3DS, and this game doesn't make me want to get one. I definitely hope they come out with a non-portable Zelda soon, though. =/

Blog Entries
    This is essentially a sequel to A Link to the Past. It's a classic. They'd have to try pretty hard to screw this up with any over use of gimmicks.

I will be buying this the minute it comes out on the e-shop.