With hopes of catering to Twisted Metal fans, series co-creator David Jaffe is trying to avoid implementing an online pass in the upcoming release.

In speaking with Eurogamer, Jaffe hopes that not implementing a pass could work towards building the game's fan base.

"I know that we have been asked to look into some code work for it but I don't believe that a decision has been made at this point. Or if it has been made it has not been shared with me yet," he said.

"I'd actually prefer that we don't do it, even though it's probably good business, only because we have such a mountain to climb in terms of gaining people's good faith, especially in Europe, and really letting people know that this is a title that's worth getting excited about."

"I'm okay with the fact that we might lose sales on this first game if, because of it, we generate a lot of fans that otherwise wouldn't have played the game. The online is so much the bread and butter of this game, so I'm okay with it because it means we're setting ourselves up for a possible return to the franchise one day."

That's quite admirable of him to want this, but the final decision is not up to him. It seems as though the final say is up to Sony on whether or not an online pass is required for Twisted Metal. However, you can read more from Jaffe, including the reason why the game was pushed into February 2012 over at Eurogamer.