Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TopDog55 Guest

Question looking to get new graphics card just not sure what...

Hello i am looking to upgrade my graphics card i just don't know what to get,
    i have been thinking about getting the ati radeon x1600 pro 256mb agp (i need an agp card)
    i want a card that can run bf2 in high detail without causing lag also i want a card that will last me a good few years i would like to see everybodies opinions about getting the x1600 also recommendations on other cards also if you know any good graphics card shops in the uk post your links ty for any replies

GeeZeR Guest

Re: looking to get new graphics card just not sure what...

I'm not a expert, but if i have my facts straight the X1600 has 12 pixel pipelines, the Nvidia 7900GT has 24 , i personally have just bought a 7900gt and i can run BF2 with everything high and max AA.

SMeeD Guest

I thought gainward planned a 7900 AGP card but Im not sure. If your looking for something thats going to last you a few years I would buy something more along the lines of an x850xt or better. If your planning to upgrade to vista you might be in a bind with any current AGP card.

The_Misfit Guest

There's a 78 or 7900gs thats for AGP, not sure which.

So quick people point out the best, he may not be able to afford it. I just replaced my agp 9800pro this week. Bought a x800gto from newegg for 150 after rebate, was trying to stay at/under 200. Its got 256mb of ddr3 ram and 12 pipelines. The x1600's are ok, but if I'm not mistaken they only run off of ddr2 memory and have 128bit architecture as opposed to 256bit on the x800's. The advantage to the x1600 is support for SM3.0. I went with the better built card, as I plan on replacing the board/cpu and going pci-e within a few months. If you're going to keep the system for a while, the x1600 should be ok, or something like a 6800gt, depends on how much you can spend.

I'm running about 1/2 medium, 1/2 high on the x800gto, 2xAA, and getting 70-100fps consistently, no lag @ map start, etc... runs real well... CS:S gets 100-140fps all on high.

SMeeD Guest

An x800GTO is really good for the money, I forgot about that one. If your looking for something in that price bracket the 6800GS, 6800GT or x800xl is something to look into.

The gainward 7900 AGP is only available in Europe, darn you Europeans :P

SciFiMan Guest

I got a X1600 512 AGP last month for myself (I wanted SM3), but I got a 6800GS for my son. Depends on how much you want to spend. I'm rebuilding my system in early 2007 after Vista and DirectX 10 cards come out. But my son's PC has to last until late 2007. If you want to keep it a couple years you shouldn't get anything less than a 6800GS. A 7800/7900 AGP maybe, but costly. Depending on your overall plans, you might go my route of a good enough card for this year and start saving for the next system.

Barone Guest

Great posts on card choices. I'll keep 'em in mind when I eventually upgrade my AGP card.

While we're on the topic of FPS, can someone point me to a "switch" in BF2 that will display FPS while I'm playing?

Thanks!

renderer.drawfps 1

moltenblack Guest

I can highly recomend Nvidia Geforce 7800 GS OC from BFG.

Out of the box it's awsome.Overclock it and it begs for more.

Not to mention BFG's lifetime warranty.
    Anything goes wrong just email them and they give you a code number and tell you where to send it.
    3 days later you get a replacement.

Mind blowing graphics and exceptional customer support.
    Easy decision.

http://www.bfgtech.com/7800GS_256.html

If I was going to stay with AGP, I would have purchased a BFG 7800 series.