Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fallout 3 Ads Spark Outrage

A man who frequents the D.C. area Metro wrote to the Washington Post complaining about a Fallout 3 ad he saw at the Metro Center station.

Joseph Anzalone slams both the ads and the metro system for agreeing to display the ads in his statement to the Post.

In one ad, the Washington Monument and the American flags surrounding it stand ravaged, as if hit by missiles. In another, the Capitol dome is partially caved in, while the rest of the building and the city behind it lie in ruins.

The people of our city do not need a daily reminder that Washington is a prime target for an attack. We do not need a daily reminder of what our worst fears look like. Since any First Amendment objection would be irrelevant (the ads do not present a true viewpoint or political message and would therefore not be protected), there is no reason for these ads to be part of our daily panorama.

The ads should be removed, and the appropriate office at Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority should be directed to exercise better judgment regarding what can be displayed in our transportation system.
    Though, as GamePolitics points out, Anzalone is wrong in his claim on the First Amendment. The First Amendment right protects more than just "true viewpoints" or "political messages" despite what he claims.

Image Source

2. Re: Fallout 3 Ads Spark Outrage

YEAH! TAKE DOWN THOSE ADS! AND REMOVE INDEPENDENCE DAY FROM THE SHELVES! AND BURN ALL COPIES OF COMMAND & CONQUER BECAUSE THE FIRST ONE DESTROYS THE WHITEHOUSE AND THEN THE US IS ATTACKED IN THE OTHERS! AND BURN HISTORY BOOKS THAT SHOW THE US EVER BEING ATTACKED DURING THE BRITISH WARS! AND GET RID OF ANY REMEMBRANCE OF THE CIVIL WAR!

Lets just pretend its a peachy world and nothing is wrong. Then all the bad people will just disappear.

Crunch
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Re: Fallout 3 Ads Spark Outrage

I didn't hear about any New Yorkers bitching about Cloverfield posters Meh and I agree Crunch

4. Re: Fallout 3 Ads Spark Outrage

Be careful, Crunch...those kind of comments can get you labeled as being "un-American".

5. Re: Fallout 3 Ads Spark Outrage

Bah, Im as American as apple pie. Youre probably right though, most people dont want to think for themselves. Better to burn books and let people tell you what you should be doing than for to think and make things on your own.

Better to be "politically correct" than to offend anyone. Soon billboards will just be white backgrounds with black lettering, just like in THEY LIVE.

Crunch

People need to get lives so they can't waste time complaining about stuff like this...these people fail.

Quote Originally Posted by CptainCrunch View Post
    Bah, Im as American as apple pie. Youre probably right though, most people dont want to think for themselves. Better to burn books and let people tell you what you should be doing than for to think and make things on your own.

Better to be "politically correct" than to offend anyone. Soon billboards will just be white backgrounds with black lettering, just like in THEY LIVE.

Crunch
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farenheit_451

8. Re: Fallout 3 Ads Spark Outrage

Namakan, thats kinda spooky.

Thank you for sharing it. Sometimes there are truths in things that were not intended to be.

Like 2001 Space Oddysey. The author actually fortold things that were not invented yet. I dont remember how I came across that information, but there were a few things that he predicted without meaning to.

I think it was some Nasa article I was reading about how they got the ideas for some of their things.

Crunch

The people of our city do not need a daily reminder that washington is a prime target for an attack. We do not need a daily reminder of what our worst fears look like.
    Paranoia rly?

10. Re: Fallout 3 Ads Spark Outrage

Well I would feel differently towards them if my city was a victim of 9/11 and those adds were up in the metro stations. But then again nobody in the U.S. uses mass transit so who cares.