Overall, gamers spent $561.3 million on new hardware and software for August 2014. This is an increase from the $521.1 million from August 2013. Hardware spending hit $196.2 million, an increase of 116% from the same period last year. Overall software sales are down 21% from 2013.
2. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
3. Minecraft (360, PS3)
4. The Last of Us (PS4, PS3)
5. Call of Duty: Ghosts (360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3, PC, Wii U)
6. Lego Marvel Super Heroes (360, PS3, Wii U, PS4, 3DS, DS, Xbox One, Vita, PC)
7. Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare (360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One)
8. Watch Dogs (PS4, 360, PS3, Xbox One, PC)
9. Battlefield 4 (360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, PC)
10. The Lego Movie Videogame (360, 3DS, PS3, Wii U, PS4, Xbox One, Vita)
From this list it should be noted that both Madden NFL 15 and Diablo III sold the most on the PlayStation 4. This is even with there being a Madden NFL 15 Xbox One bundle. It is my understanding that the NPD figures are only for physical retail sales and do not include digital purchases.