Initially, three million consoles worldwide will get the update. In the coming weeks, more and more users will be given the update. So, what exactly is new in this Dashboard update?
- Refreshed Xbox 360 UI. We’ve updated the UI with a few things, including an updated layout with more tiles, a combined TV & Movies page and, in the US, a Sports destination.
- Internet Explorer for Xbox. With Internet Explorer on Xbox, you can easily find and view internet content on the biggest screen in the house, including HTML5 videos.
- Recommendations and Ratings. Recommendations will allow you to discover new favorites, generated based on a number of variables including the content you previously viewed, what your friends are consuming and what is most relevant and popular with our Xbox community. You can also see Rotten Tomatoes ratings.
- Pinning. Pinning lets you to personalize the dashboard by saving your favorite movies, TV shows, games, music, videos and websites right to the home screen. It’s as easy as opening an app or a favorite movie and clicking “pin.”
- Xbox Video. Xbox Video offers hundreds of thousands of TV shows and movies for buying or renting in instant HD streaming.
- Recent. Previously called Quick Play, the Recent page gives you a list of movies, games or other types of content that you most recently accessed on the console.
- Enhanced Search. The last Xbox LIVE update brought Bing voice search to Xbox so you could use voice to search for movies, TV shows, actors, directors and artists. This year we added genre search to the list, so now you can search for action, comedies, romance, drama or sci-fi. Bing voice search now includes results for video across the Web, including YouTube.
- International Expansion of Voice Search. We’ve expanded our Kinect voice search capabilities to 12 new countries – France, Germany, Japan, Australia, Brazil, Mexico, Italy, Spain, Austria, New Zealand, Switzerland and Ireland – and we’ve made it easier to connect to Xbox LIVE in English, French, Spanish and Chinese.
Support for Xbox SmartGlass will be coming once Windows 8 launches on October 26th. Once launched, it will allow for integration with your Xbox 360 dashboard including app navigation and control within Internet Explorer.
This Dash update also coincides with the release of Xbox Music.