PDA

View Full Version : Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising

stilla-killa
09-27-2009, 03:34 PM
So who is excited about this game as much as I am? I have had mine pre-ordered from Gamestop months ago.

MrChris_CJ
09-27-2009, 03:55 PM
if it turns out to be ok I was certainly thinking of getting it for the PC given that it only costs 17.99 on ShopTo

Eagle101
09-27-2009, 05:42 PM
Um, well kind of looking forward to it, when i got OFP GOTY edition i liked it the editor being the best but the SP was way too merciless and often got me (*&*())()*#&& so gonna get the demo or check it out before i actually purchase it.

groundedzero
09-27-2009, 06:04 PM
I haven't preordered it, but I will buy it!! I've been following the DR Forums now for some time and am really excited! It looks like top stuff :D

5t3v0
09-27-2009, 06:06 PM
Um, well kind of looking forward to it, when i got OFP GOTY edition i liked it the editor being the best but the SP was way too merciless and often got me (*&*())()*#&& so gonna get the demo or check it out before i actually purchase it.

The makers of the original OFP are what we know to day as the people who make arma. When they left the distributor the distributor took the rights. It will probably be very different.

Dragbag
09-28-2009, 04:19 AM
as the pre-release demo has been scraped im going to wait to see what the reviews are like.
im not much into sp more mp gaming so will have to see what thats like.
( will there be a " total" operation flash point 2 forum??)

Eagle101
09-28-2009, 02:17 PM
Hah i had no idea about that 5t3v0 thanks ;) now i can say that i am slightly intereseted in how its going to play out :)

jake_
10-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Looks good. I'll probably get it, but will wait to see some reviews first. Plus, who am I kidding? College is sucking up all my free time.

imported_Robbeh
10-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Just so you guys know... Theres no dedicated server support mp will be entirely p2p hosted. :(

jake_
10-03-2009, 12:59 AM
Just so you guys know... Theres no dedicated server support mp will be entirely p2p hosted. :(

Do you have a source for this information? If so I'd like to read it. :)

If it is true, it shouldn't impact gameplay too much since it seems to be mostly about the 4-player co-op. I don't think there's even a very large MP mode, is there?

Numptie
10-03-2009, 06:13 AM
i think the biggest multiplayer will either be 8v8 or 16v16, cant quite remember.

Either way, you will be restricted to 2km x 2km maps.

Eagle101
10-03-2009, 07:31 AM
^ how much processor and ram power would that require lol i sense i will be lagging even on SP :(

wolf106
10-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Its out tomorrow!!!!!!

stilla-killa
10-05-2009, 09:01 PM
From my understanding, it will ship on the 6th but will not be in the stores until the 7th. That is what my local Gamestop told me just a few minutes ago. But that will not stop me from calling them tomorrow just to make sure.

Eagle101
10-06-2009, 04:10 AM
ah you guys might be lucky, every time i visit game for a new release they always tell me its out on friday always has to be the bloody end of the week :S argh :

Piemaaan!
10-06-2009, 06:17 AM
This game looks like a console port. It doesn't look like a military sim, it looks arcady. So I will not buy it.

Numptie
10-06-2009, 07:02 AM
This game looks like a console port. It doesn't look like a military sim, it looks arcady. So I will not buy it.

its a blatent console port due to the multiplayer being purely p2p

[GCA]Tim270
10-06-2009, 07:37 PM
its a blatent console port due to the multiplayer being purely p2p

Maybe, but if the games main multiplayer component is going to be solely 4-player co-op then I does make sense to go for a P2P system rather than have to go through dedicated servers.

stilla-killa
10-06-2009, 09:48 PM
It is on steam now for $39.99

ebevan_91
10-06-2009, 10:14 PM
I want to see if my system can run this so I decided to use "systemrequirementslab.com" and the download won't work.

Here is my system:

EVGA 680i SLI motherboard
Geforce 9800GT
Intel 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo
2GB ram (windows xp)
160GB HDD
450W power supply (my 750 watter went bad...)

I would just like someone with similar specs to give their input. And yes, I know how to look at the little sticker on the PC game box to see if I can run it. But I want to see the maximum I can run it at.

Eagle101
10-07-2009, 05:04 AM
http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/5211831/Operation-Flashpoint-2-Dragon-Rising/Product.html

Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just like when i bought CoH:Tales of Valor everywhere else where selling it for 30 quid but Play.com is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazon, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Operation-Flashpoint-Dragon-Rising-DVD/dp/B001VMAU2O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1254902699&sr=8-2

US, http://www.amazon.com/Operation-Flashpoint-Dragon-Rising-Pc/dp/B00009P50V/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1254902959&sr=8-3

garandx
10-07-2009, 07:27 AM
Game is a pure console port, no SADS and the Game will be dead by Easter.

5t3v0
10-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Yeah, I am more sympathetic to the makers of ArmA. I would rather buy that, it being a PC exclusive and all.

CybrSlydr
10-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Hate on it all you want, but I found it to be a very enjoyable experience!

I posted this on another forum...

Impressions...

This is always what I wanted the original OFP to be! Great game!

I'm on mission 7 I think and love it. It's not as... free-ranging as say the original OFP or ArmA. I know in the other two, I'd often on covert missions, steal a tank or BMP or something to make things a bit more fun. You can't do that in OFP2 so far. I haven't found (or really looked) for vehicles sitting idle. You can typically find a jeep or something near, but the way the missions are, they're not quite as useful. Certainly nice to cover ground, but not really useful.

Enemy soldiers blend in very well with the environments. Can be very difficult to spot them. On normal difficulty, they certainly seem to miss the first few shots alot, but will soon home-in on you. One shot you're dead. However, you don't always die with one shot. You can take a few before dying. If you're incapacitated, you can use the Q menu to call your medic over to heal you and get you back into the fight. However, he has to do so before you bleed out.

You normally get about 1 arty strike or airstrike per mission to do with as you please. Took a while to figure out it was the Right Shift that called up that particular menu. Sound is incredible - just wow! Sound is where this game totally and utterly trounces and stomps ArmA and others into the ground. Beautiful sound!!! A real treat for those of you with 5.1-7.1 systems.

Voice comms are another area where this game really trumps ArmA. The voice acting is good and you don't have that omg annoyingly stilted robo-talk when you issue orders.

So far there have been a good mix of missions. Assault, support, assault and defend, infiltration, etc. This does a very good job of making you feel like a part of a bigger battle.

As others have stated, this doesn't have the adrenaline pumping action of COD or others like it, but it's full of tension and gets you on that knife-edge. However, it's still very, very exciting to play.

Teammate AI is decent. Nothing spectacular other than a few path-finding problems on the first mission when I tried to do an aquatic assault (they got stuck and we couldn't progress as they wouldn't get in the water). They will call out enemy positions and handle themselves well enough you don't have to babysit them - but always keep an eye on them.

A slight oddity though... In ArmA and the original OFP, the landscapes really did feel sprawling and it really felt like you could go anywhere to do anything. This certainly has that wide-open look, but doesn't quite feel as expansive as the others. The world is a lot, LOT less lived in as well. You don't have civilians running around doing their thing or driving around in big cities. Those two games definitely get bigger points for giving the feeling of a living, breathing world. On OFP2, it feels like the only people on the island are you and your allies and the enemies you're attacking.

So far I'm very impressed. This game is very, very fun and rewarding - hands down I'd say it's better than ArmA 1.

I just finished the campaign this morning with a total in-mission time of 6hr. 5min. 42sec. Felt way too short. This is on Normal difficulty.

But it was still a blast! Very, very fun. However, the vehicle missions just aren't there. Never once did we have a mission where you were a tank commander or a Cobra (commander - hehe) pilot. It was all infantry.

I did really miss that I couldn't jump in idle vehicles and play around in them - was always nice to hop in an idle T-90 or BMP and blow stuff up that way.

However, I think my favorite mission was the one where I had to destroy a radio tower. Was very, very tense. :) Actually, all the missions were tense - not heart pounding, but the kind where you're straining to see if that's a shadow or enemy soldier and listening for that lone gunshot.

I also think I sorta broke the game. I never really ever used the suppress/assault/engage, etc. commands. I just kept my guys in a wedge formation (sometimes line or column) and told them when to fire. I know they're always talking about flanking and suppressing... but I never had to use it.

Overall, I thought it was very fun and a worthwhile experience - I'm just waiting for more content. :)

CybrSlydr
10-08-2009, 11:40 AM
So, to summarize...

PROS:
-Great graphics
-Amazing Sound
-Good assortment of Weapons
-Awesome environment
-Sprawling map on which to operate
-Good variety of missions
-Difficult, but not unforgiving as ArmA and original OFP could be
-Night-time infiltration mission not nearly as tedious and annoying as ArmA or original OFP, rather fun
-Very polished and complete - never ran into any bugs or CTDs
-Runs very well on High settings on my modest system (x3360 @ 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 4870 512, Vista x64 Ultimate)

CONS:
-While the map may be large, battles feel small in scale
-Cannot change loadout pre-mission (can sometimes find crates at beginning to swap up)
-Teammate control via Q menu, while better than the F1-F9 system, is still clunky
-Inability to control single teammates when not on the map screen
-Some minor path-finding issues
-Lack of vehicle usage during SP campaign
-Relatively short

I do wish to clarify that while I do note lack of vehicles in the Cons, personally it's not really a con. I like just straight-up infantry games. I'm not really a vehicle kinda guy.

Eagle101
10-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Nice read but still hesitant as to running the game well on max with aa off.

CybrSlydr
10-08-2009, 01:19 PM
I forgot to mention my resolution was 1920x1080 with 4xAA. Never got a slow down.

It's on the same engine as GRID and DIRT - so if you can run those well, you should be fine.

Numptie
10-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Ive ordered OFP, due tomorrow, hopefully the single player will be better than Arma2's.

Although, im not looking forward to trying mutliplayer in the UK, seeing as the majority of the internet speeds are below par.

CybrSlydr
10-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Single player was quite fun - I enjoyed it.

It just didn't have the same wide-open feel as ArmA or original OFP.

I noticed something a few hours in - the FoV seems a little... narow. That might be why even though the game is quite sprawling, the battles seem confined.

Eagle101
10-08-2009, 01:29 PM
I forgot to mention my resolution was 1920x1080 with 4xAA. Never got a slow down.

It's on the same engine as GRID and DIRT - so if you can run those well, you should be fine.

i ran those gams fine with minimal to no lag this should be great thanks man ;).

CybrSlydr
10-08-2009, 01:33 PM
No problem - glad to help. :)

Numptie
10-08-2009, 01:40 PM
ive hear the FOV is about 75 degrees, which is just above half of our natural FOV, sounds like there will be lots of looking to the left and right just to see clearly.

CybrSlydr
10-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Not really, but it certainly seemed... tight.

Eagle101
10-08-2009, 05:44 PM
FOV? please explain lol :p

CybrSlydr
10-08-2009, 05:50 PM
FoV = Field of View. The number of degrees of view you have from one side of the screen to the other.

StoneCold313
10-08-2009, 06:54 PM
So, to summarize...

PROS:
-Great graphics
-Amazing Sound
-Awesome environment
-Night-time infiltration mission not nearly as tedious and annoying as ArmA or original OFP, rather fun
-Runs very well on High settings on my modest system (x3360 @ 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 4870 512, Vista x64 Ultimate)

CONS:
-Cannot change loadout pre-mission (can sometimes find crates at beginning to swap up)
-Teammate control via Q menu, while better than the F1-F9 system, is still clunky
-Relatively short

I do wish to clarify that while I do note lack of vehicles in the Cons, personally it's not really a con. I like just straight-up infantry games. I'm not really a vehicle kinda guy.

With Q menu open press 1-4 to select teammates... :)

And you forgot to mention in the cons the sticky command screen, and no lean (:shock:).

The command screen stays up until you press Q again to get out from it. It would be lot easier to just press Q hit 'move' command and then the menu would disappear...

And for the lean, that's the weird part. It seems that AI can lean, but for some reason(*cough* consoles doesn't have enough buttons *cough*) you can't lean...

CybrSlydr
10-08-2009, 07:34 PM
I just found out about that one on the official OFPDR forums. :D

The leaning part is a little odd. And I agree about the Q menu not going away.

Dan2k3k4
10-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Wait so they removed leaning from the PC version because consoles couldn't handle the extra buttons? Or are you just complaining about the console version? I don't know of many games on the console with lean enabled... it's off in the CoD games...

stilla-killa
10-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Has not lived up to the hype so far with me. Why oh why did they do a console port for the pc? Sad day for pc gamers every where as I am afraid this will be an all to common thing with pc's from here on out.

StoneCold313
10-09-2009, 12:28 AM
Wait so they removed leaning from the PC version because consoles couldn't handle the extra buttons? Or are you just complaining about the console version? I don't know of many games on the console with lean enabled... it's off in the CoD games...

No im not complaining about the console version.

Im complaining about the fact that you can't lean on the PC version. And the weird part is that there is already lean animation/coding somewhere because AI can lean...

And the "consoles doesn't have enough buttons" thing was more like an joke than anything else.

iQue
10-09-2009, 10:22 AM
I noticed something a few hours in - the FoV seems a little... narow. That might be why even though the game is quite sprawling, the battles seem confined.

Pretty typical for console ports. CoD and games like Bioshock also have a ridiculously low fov.

Numptie
10-09-2009, 10:34 AM
After playing the game for a couple of hours, the single player is good, the multiplayer, if you find a good host can be brilliant, shame about not having dedicated servers though. Well worth the 18 i paid for it.

Eagle101
10-10-2009, 06:05 AM
Got it off of play.com decent SP did not try MP yet i liked it not bad just gets a tad frustrating when you die immediatley lol but i am used to the first OFP so meh.

Numptie
10-10-2009, 06:09 AM
Got it off of play.com decent SP did not try MP yet i liked it not bad just gets a tad frustrating when you die immediatley lol but i am used to the first OFP so meh.

Once you get into a game with a decent host, so your not lagging, it can be an awesome experience.

Eagle101
10-10-2009, 06:17 AM
i hope to find a decent host with enough players.

[29ID]B|Pvt.Mickd
10-10-2009, 10:59 AM
I consider myself a multiplayer gamer. I have yet to get to play MP on this game as all of teh servers are down/overloaded. Thus until I get the chance to play this game online, it will remain a waste of money.

CybrSlydr
10-10-2009, 12:17 PM
I'm the opposite. I'm all about the SP. Here are my final thoughts on the game...

[quote=CybrSlydr]Impressions...

This is always what I wanted the original OFP to be! Great game!

I'm on mission 7 I think and love it. It's not as... free-ranging as say the original OFP or ArmA. I know in the other two, I'd often on covert missions, steal a tank or BMP or something to make things a bit more fun. You can't do that in OFP2 so far. I haven't found (or really looked) for vehicles sitting idle. You can typically find a jeep or something near, but the way the missions are, they're not quite as useful. Certainly nice to cover ground, but not really useful.

Enemy soldiers blend in very well with the environments. Can be very difficult to spot them. On normal difficulty, they certainly seem to miss the first few shots alot, but will soon home-in on you. One shot you're dead. However, you don't always die with one shot. You can take a few before dying. If you're incapacitated, you can use the Q menu to call your medic over to heal you and get you back into the fight. However, he has to do so before you bleed out.

Arty strikes and air strikes are nice. Work as advertised. Sound is incredible - just wow! Sound is where this game totally and utterly trounces and stomps ArmA and others into the ground. Beautiful sound!!! A real treat for those of you with 5.1-7.1 systems.

Voice comms are another area where this game really trumps ArmA. The voice acting is good and you don't have that omg annoyingly stilted robo-talk when you issue orders.

So far there have been a good mix of missions. Assault, support, assault and defend, infiltration, etc. This does a very good job of making you feel like a part of a bigger battle.

As others have stated, this doesn't have the adrenaline pumping action of COD or others like it, but it's full of tension and gets you on that knife-edge. However, it's still very, very exciting to play.

Teammate AI is decent. Nothing spectacular other than a few path-finding problems on the first mission when I tried to do an aquatic assault (they got stuck and we couldn't progress as they wouldn't get in the water). They will call out enemy positions and handle themselves well enough you don't have to babysit them - but always keep an eye on them.

A slight oddity though... In ArmA and the original OFP, the landscapes really did feel sprawling and it really felt like you could go anywhere to do anything. This certainly has that wide-open look, but doesn't quite feel as expansive as the others. The world is a lot, LOT less lived in as well. You don't have civilians running around doing their thing or driving around in big cities. Those two games definitely get bigger points for giving the feeling of a living, breathing world. On OFP2, it feels like the only people on the island are you and your allies and the enemies you're attacking. I haven't even seen a city or town yet.

After finishing, I gotta say it was a fun ride.

Was over way too soon (campaign timer said 6hrs 5min 42 seconds on Normal difficulty).

I also feel like I may have broken the game. I rarely/never used the Suppress/Assault/Flank, etc commands. I just kept them in a wedge (or Column/Line if needed) and told them if and when to fire.

Unless I missed it somewhere, while in the game you cannot issue orders to a specific teammate. You can on the map, but not when you're in game. Big bummer. Would have been nice when I had a sniper to have him do some long range wet-work. Something I'll explore on another play through.

While not being able to customize your load out was a downer, it didn't hurt too much. Though there were a few times I felt like a TK so I could use the M249 or the marksman weapons on a few missions.

Story was... light and not much there, but it served it's purpose in getting you towards the end of the fight. Big props to the voice actors again!

All in all, I'm glad I got this game - well worth the money so far. Now to go through again - and see what the modding community can come up with.

So, to summarize...

PROS:
-Great graphics
-Amazing Sound
-Awesome environment
-Runs very well on High settings on my modest system (x3360 @ 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 4870 512, Vista x64 Ultimate, 1920x1080 4x MSAA)

CONS:
-Relatively short
[\quote]