PDA

View Full Version : Sniper in Regular - Question

Kodakk
03-23-2008, 09:46 PM
Alright, I've noticed this after playing in regular matches...

Sniping, with the M40.

Perks:

Bandolier
Stopping Power
Deep Impact

I can scope and kill a target, anywhere on the body, 95% of the time with one shot. There are rare occasions where it will take two shots to kill an enemy even when they aren't using juggernaut.

No-Scoping, I hit a target anywhere on the body, and it only kills them maybe 5% of the time at best. Any distance. What is the reasoning for this, can anybody explain?

Kylee!
03-23-2008, 10:16 PM
Noscopes will kill most of the time... Its just where that random shot will hit is the part where luck comes in.

Kodakk
03-23-2008, 10:23 PM
It just doesn't make sense though - at all.

solofowaffles
03-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Because when unzoomed the inaccuracy means most of the time it will hit anywhere but center mass.

Kylee!
03-23-2008, 10:28 PM
I said ... it usually does kill in one shot.

Maybe you've just had bad experiences noscoping.

Kodakk
03-23-2008, 10:30 PM
Well stephen, that is true... but, that brings up another question:

Why in the world is the unscoped sniper rifle so damn innacurate? And don't you dare say for balance, because many games have accurate rifles when it's not scoped.

It's like the barrel is bent?

jesus
03-23-2008, 10:40 PM
k0daK;1891542']Well stephen, that is true... but, that brings up another question:

Why in the world is the unscoped sniper rifle so damn innacurate? And don't you dare say for balance, because many games have accurate rifles when it's not scoped.

It's like the barrel is bent?

isn't because snipers have huge recoil, and are heavy?

solofowaffles
03-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Well i imagine its for balance,otherwise you could just put a dot on the screen.

groundedzero
03-23-2008, 10:51 PM
i kind of find noscope annoying too, i mean, it kills pure logic, just because ur scoped doesnt make it any more accurate than unscoped (IMO)

TrudgiN
03-23-2008, 11:02 PM
k0daK;1891503']Alright, I've noticed this after playing in regular matches...

Sniping, with the M40.

Perks:

Bandolier
Stopping Power
Deep Impact

I can scope and kill a target, anywhere on the body, 95% of the time with one shot. There are rare occasions where it will take two shots to kill an enemy even when they aren't using juggernaut.

No-Scoping, I hit a target anywhere on the body, and it only kills them maybe 5% of the time at best. Any distance. What is the reasoning for this, can anybody explain?

filter your searches to only dedicated server
Bullet registration is perfect 1 shot kills all the time :salute:

imported_Whiskey
03-23-2008, 11:04 PM
i mean, it kills pure logic, just because ur scoped doesnt make it any more accurate than unscoped (IMO)

The whole point of games that use ironsights/scopes is that when you're in that mode, your shot is very accurate. This encourages you to use ironsights/scopes.

When you shoot from the hip, using regular crosshairs, there is a randomness built in so that your shots aren't as accurate, and you only use it for close-in or emergencies.

It makes perfect sense for accuracy reasons. However, the damage thing for sniper rifles is a bit strange/interesting. Even though some may not want to hear it, it likely is for balance to discourage unscoped sniper rifles, since they are already so powerful. Other games may allow it, but that doesn't mean the weapon isn't overpowered on those games.

I almost never snipe, so I'll ask this to those who do it a lot...even when prone and not moving, there is a large "gap" in the regular unscoped crosshairs. When you talk about no-scope shooting, how are you able to be accurate? Are we talking a dot on the middle of your screen; are you just able to naturally shoot in the middle of that "gap" in the crosshairs; or is there some sort of trick I'm not aware of?

I've seen some no-scope shots on vids from other games, but most of them have much smaller/tighter unscoped crosshairs.

Kylee!
03-23-2008, 11:09 PM
I just know where the middle of my screen is... I do the same in CS.

imported_Whiskey
03-23-2008, 11:13 PM
I watched the CS vids you posted in the other thread. The crosshairs in that game are tiny, and very close together. It's pretty impressive if you guys are doing that with the (relatively) large gap in the COD4 crosshairs.

Kodakk
03-23-2008, 11:47 PM
No, it can literally go anywhere Whiskey... it's a bit too wide in my opinion.

In CSS you could change your crosshairs to a tiny scale to be extremely accurate, and even without a crosshair (scouting for example) you could still be very accurate.

CoD4 sniping, prone and even with steady aim, the crosshairs are pretty wide - which I don't understand. Maybe rather than giving the snipers crosshairs, they could make the no scoping more accurate and remove the crosshairs? It would make more sense.

There is no "knowing where the center of your screen is" in CoD4 - at least for sniping, because the amount of randomness in the shot is extraordinary (This is coming from a die-hard sniper)

imported_Whiskey
03-24-2008, 12:01 AM
k0daK;1891569']Maybe rather than giving the snipers crosshairs, they could make the no scoping more accurate and remove the crosshairs?

But without the crosshairs, how could you know where your shot will go? Hmm, maybe I don't really understand what "no-scoping" is. Could you describe what you're doing?

Kodakk
03-24-2008, 12:23 AM
Well, once you get used to the sniper rifle, you tend to "know" where the rifle is aiming even without the crosshairs. It's like Spitfire said (in other games) you learn where the center of your screen is essentially, and therefore can make a good prediction of where your shot will go.

CoD4 doesn't allow that kind of thinking when sniping unzoomed because there is a large amount of randomness to the direction of the bullet - so rather than shooting and knowing it will hit in say a 1/4 ft x 1/4 ft box, it will hit anywhere within a 2 ft x 2 ft box.

Similarly, assault rifle users (in hardcore, so without crosshairs) know the general direction of where their bullets will go, and can aim accordingly.

CSS had, in default settings, large crosshairs, but the bullets would go in the center of the crosshairs every time (on the first shot) - which allowed users to decrease the crosshair size in order to get a clearer idea of where the bullets will impact. There was still recoil, but you knew exactly where your first shot was going to go, so if you were skilled enough you could really make it count.

I can make a video tomorrow showing what I'd like it to be compared to how it currently is as I'm pretty bad at describing it :(

-=}E{=-Stimulus
03-24-2008, 12:58 AM
No-scoping kills 100% of the time 5% of the time ;)

Iwantcable
03-24-2008, 02:32 AM
I don't know if you've played CoD2, but I think IW decided no-scoping was overpowered and nerfed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBF3xbdD3P0
There's some crazy shots without scoping...

IMO it would be fine considering how most CoD4 maps are horrendous for sniping, though.

iQue
03-24-2008, 10:24 AM
I read in some developer diary or similar that they didn't want the sniper rifles to be very accurate since new players wouldn't stand a chance against the more experienced players. And considering the high damage the sniper rifles does, IW thought that if they were very accurate no-scoped everyone would put a dot on their monitor and use the sniper rifles as hyperaccurate shotguns of doom. I know I would considering my aim is pretty good.

Think about it, CoD4 is already extremely dumbed down, they couldn't possibly have made it more confusing for the noobs :rolleyes:

Although I admit you have these cool wtf moments when you do noscoped headshots across crossfire.

Kodakk
03-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Well, I hope future games don't continue this "appeal to new players" as it takes away from the lasting appeal and amount of skill possible in a game.

Kylee!
03-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Aha! Iwantcables video is awesome... I love stuff like that.

Yea, thats the kinda game I learned how to play, I still attempt to play it in CoD4... but it just doesn't work sometimes.

But, I would love if the sniper could noscope like it used to... It was just so much more fun that way, and it made snipers something useful.

iQue
03-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Yeah it's seems the only weapon IW intended us to use were ARs/SMGs/LMGs... Shotguns and Sniper rifles seem to be something IW just threw in the game cause people wouldn't like it without them. I can't understand why they had to nerf the shotguns so badly.

TrudgiN
03-24-2008, 02:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc1tCrdcO0g

Works but closer range

But from all the cod4 no scope montages i seems to be the xbox and ps3 only :cry:

Kodakk
03-24-2008, 02:17 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pI5sLvd-MlE

No, it is possible (That's me)

It's just very random and inconsistent.

TrudgiN
03-24-2008, 02:18 PM
k0daK;1891979']http://youtube.com/watch?v=pI5sLvd-MlE

It's just very random and inconsistent.

nice skillage :nod:

iQue
03-24-2008, 02:29 PM
But from all the cod4 no scope montages i seems to be the xbox and ps3 only :cry:

Autoaim. It's a lot easier to do noscopes if the hitboxes are twice as big ;)

TrudgiN
03-24-2008, 02:33 PM

Yeah heard about that all console versions get a mini aimbot :D

Kreepy Kitteh =^o.O^=
03-24-2008, 03:42 PM
Well i imagine its for balance,otherwise you could just put a dot on the screen.

rofl!! i tried that ages ago in CS... didnt work :cry:

but ur right.. it is for balance.. if there was a way to accurately fire a sniper rifle from the hip the game would be over for anyone without a sniper rifle.. simple

=)BiT(=BlackMage
03-24-2008, 05:50 PM
There's a hit area with the M40 that only has a 1.1x damage modifier. Even with SP, it won't oneshot. I believe it is the gut. Aim high or use the R700 for great justice.

TrudgiN
03-24-2008, 07:05 PM
There's a hit area with the M40 that only has a 1.1x damage modifier. Even with SP, it won't oneshot. I believe it is the gut. Aim high or use the R700 for great justice.

It does all the time 80% of m40a3 shots are 1 hits

Kodakk
03-24-2008, 09:08 PM
rofl!! i tried that ages ago in CS... didnt work :cry:

but ur right.. it is for balance.. if there was a way to accurately fire a sniper rifle from the hip the game would be over for anyone without a sniper rifle.. simple

Well, that's the reasoning people always give for removing things from games, when in reality it wouldn't impact the game that much, it would only balance things out a bit more for snipers like me :cool:

Kylee!
03-24-2008, 10:56 PM
k0daK;1892319']Well, that's the reasoning people always give for removing things from games, when in reality it wouldn't impact the game that much, it would only balance things out a bit more for snipers like me :cool:

Yea, good point, if you make noscoping... hard, but consistent, it makes things better for the guys with good aim, and makes the guys who don't have good aim... want to have good aim.

I went back and played some CoD2 today, and the sniper noscope is perfect...

Kreepy Kitteh =^o.O^=
03-25-2008, 03:29 AM
k0daK;1892319']Well, that's the reasoning people always give for removing things from games, when in reality it wouldn't impact the game that much, it would only balance things out a bit more for snipers like me :cool:

if they made the hit damage from a sniper rifle say take off only %50 life so it would take 2 shots to kiill someone it would probably work.. but with a one shot kill from the hip and a crosshair or accuracy to match the game would be over unless u had a sniper rifle.. for me personaly it doesnt really bother me that much.. because most games i have played have this bent barrel physics business anyway.. and i always use the desert eagle in any close combat situations :)

Kodakk
03-25-2008, 10:08 AM
if they made the hit damage from a sniper rifle say take off only %50 life so it would take 2 shots to kiill someone it would probably work.. but with a one shot kill from the hip and a crosshair or accuracy to match the game would be over unless u had a sniper rifle.. for me personaly it doesnt really bother me that much.. because most games i have played have this bent barrel physics business anyway.. and i always use the desert eagle in any close combat situations :)

It would still take quite a bit of skill to take a guy out if it had increased accuracy. The assault rifles would still have a clear advantage over the sniper, but it would just give the sniper a bit more of a chance...

I just feel very strongly about this because I'm my clans sniper so I get stuck in situations where a more accurate unscoped rifle would help me enormously.

iQue
03-25-2008, 10:17 AM
I completely agree. It's like IW only wanted us to use AR's and nothing more... :D Snipers are nerfed and so are shotguns, hardcore alone means doom for shotgunners like myself.

Kreepy Kitteh =^o.O^=
03-25-2008, 10:20 AM
k0daK;1892620']It would still take quite a bit of skill to take a guy out if it had increased accuracy. The assault rifles would still have a clear advantage over the sniper, but it would just give the sniper a bit more of a chance...

I just feel very strongly about this because I'm my clans sniper so I get stuck in situations where a more accurate unscoped rifle would help me enormously.

hmm i think i missunderstood you sorry lol.. so u mean just more accurate when unscoped? u dont mean they should have an actual crosshair while unscoped?

Kodakk
03-25-2008, 10:30 AM
I don't believe the sniper rifles should have a crosshair, ever - in regular, hardcore, or in any other FPS out there.

I was just talking about increasing accuracy when unscoped, meaning that with enough practice, you have a good idea of where your shot will go, and it isn't some random/lucky chance if you hit the enemy.

Kreepy Kitteh =^o.O^=
03-25-2008, 10:45 AM
k0daK;1892626']I don't believe the sniper rifles should have a crosshair, ever - in regular, hardcore, or in any other FPS out there.

I was just talking about increasing accuracy when unscoped, meaning that with enough practice, you have a good idea of where your shot will go, and it isn't some random/lucky chance if you hit the enemy.

hmm yeah that would be good.. however if it was too accurate people would just put a dot on the screen lol..

but a bit more unscoped accuracy would be good..

iQue
03-25-2008, 02:21 PM
If you can noscope pretty accurately with an AR (especially with steady aim), why wouldn't you be able to do it with a sniper rifle? At least I think so ;)

Kodakk
03-25-2008, 04:20 PM
I'll make a video/picture later showing how bad it is :)

CptainCrunch
03-28-2008, 03:24 PM
k0daK;1892864']I'll make a video/picture later showing how bad it is :)

Is the Ultimate Sniper video, the video you were talking about?

Crunch

Kodakk
03-28-2008, 03:35 PM
No, that's just a video I made to showoff :P

I meant I could make a diagram/picture showing how inaccurate the sniper rifles unscoped are, which I still may or may not do.

Wizrdwarts
03-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Weren't there crosshairs for the snipers in COD2. Makes sense because it's the same gun, why should adding a scope to the top affect firing from the hip/low/high ready or whatever its called?

Anyways, I saw a video of some guy nailing people at ~20m with the Barret. Did they change sniper accuracy from the original patch or consoles?

Spik3d
03-28-2008, 03:59 PM

CoD doesn't use hit boxes.

Wizrdwarts
03-28-2008, 04:04 PM
Same thing though, autoaim that "curves" the bullet away from the middle of the screen has the same effect as enlarging the hitbox.

TSlaw*
03-29-2008, 08:57 AM
hmm yeah that would be good.. however if it was too accurate people would just put a dot on the screen lol..

but a bit more unscoped accuracy would be good..

With my acog snipers, I use steady aim and hip fire them. And I DO have dot on my screen =D Cheap, but it works. Only helps no scoping though..hardly ever do it..

Tango9
03-31-2008, 02:08 PM
k0daK;1891979']http://youtube.com/watch?v=pI5sLvd-MlE

It's just very random and inconsistent.Why is your deagle so shiny?

I guess those no-scopes on youtube are ussaly just pure luck?

Kodakk
03-31-2008, 03:59 PM
Specular map was on, I turned it off now to reach 125 FPS.

Well, they are luck to an extent - but all those occurred between 2 consecutive rounds. With practice (and with different techniques), you have a good idea of where the bullet will go, even though it is random - hard to explain.

Sgtl3lade
04-03-2008, 12:41 AM
Kodak...

Your my hero.
Your sniper videos...
Pure awesomeness!

Kodakk
04-03-2008, 08:33 AM
LOL OWNED :)

b` m3ow
04-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Use my .50 and you wont have to worry about no scope 1 shots.. it can be a 10round AUTO :)