PDA

View Full Version : I'm taking a break. (Warning: Rant)

Dairuka
03-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Despite our recent surge in popularity, it seems that we've stagnated. Thats got me pissed. Very pissed. Where did everybody go? You'd think people would be happy that there are hundreds to thousands of visitors everyday to see their pages....

Yet, with very few exceptions, (Vika, Vreki and Therealmat) - contributions have been slim pickings throughout February. Especially with Vreki AWOL, and Vika busy with TGN work. That means contributions are almost non-existent unless I'm the one doing them... It's ridiculous. It's annoying. I get dozens of "you made a mistake" PM's regarding pages that aren't even locked to the public from lazy people not wanting to register and do something good for the community.

Quite literally, I don't like doing all of the work on this site. This was supposed to be a TGN community project. Not "Dairuka's Wiki, LOLZOR!" - Whatever happened to the Mo0bment...

I've tried pretty much everything my meager mind can come up with to make a Community, but having failed in all accords, I'm exhausted. In my current state of mind, I'd probably piss more people off, than draw them in.

Even the people who are supposed to help me build the site have gone mysteriously AWOL, and I'm not really willing to go chasing people down to get things done. I feel like a d-i-c-k when I do, because I know they have real work to do too. So, I try not to bug them, and nothing gets done...

Well. I'm frustrated now, especially with real life getting in the way. When real life isn't in the way, I can't even force myself to concentrate on the ECP to get some work done. I'd rather play the games, than write about them right now... mostly because I spent almost all of January and early February working on the ECP during free time which probably should've been spent unwinding after my day job. I thought the huge projects would help me in my efforts to build a community - but it feels almost as if I've alienated everybody somehow by doing this.

Oh well. From this moment I'm going to stop worrying about this site for a week or two to recharge my batteries. I'm going to start sleeping at nights again, and see how that works.

That means that our upcoming projects like the Videos are going on Hiatus until then. Sorry Vika. I know you were looking forward to me releasing our Video on the 29th, but... My heart isn't in this right now. I'll only visit the site occasionally to make sure that Clan-Wiki creators get Clan Liaison status.

In the mean-time I would like our regulars to continue to visit. Your support is always welcomed, but I would like to urge you all into registering and becoming a part of the EncyClanPedia family. It doesn't take much effort to learn how to Wiki... nor does it take much time to write up a couple pages a day at least, it doesn't have to be fancy - it just needs to be informative.

Finally, if you have a question, don't hesitate to post it here in the forums. Even if I don't answer; there are still plenty of knowledgeable people who can help.

Well, thats it. I'm done venting for now. See you all in a week or two.

AllFoamNoBeer
03-02-2008, 10:39 AM
I hear ya.

=98=
03-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Quite literally, I don't like doing all of the work on this site. This was supposed to be a TGN community project.

Sorry to tell you this, but you kind of decided it should be. Only a few people said they would contribute, not everyone. To be honest most people don't have enough time between work and school to write articles, and if we are brutally honest, the idea was never going to amount to much after we strayed away from the initial idea of having it as a clan index. Thats my thoughts on the matter.

Vreki
03-02-2008, 11:01 AM
I don't really need leave to be absent, so AWOL is not a fitting description ;)

Personally I am not really playing any PC games at the moment, so I have no relevant content to add. That will probably change when a new game gathers my interest.
And I am also quite busy IRL.

Well. I'm frustrated now, especially with real life getting in the way. When real life isn't in the way, I can't even force myself to concentrate on the ECP to get some work done. I'd rather play the games, than write about them right now... mostly because I spent almost all of January and early February working on the ECP during free time which probably should've been spent unwinding after my day job. I thought the huge projects would help me in my efforts to build a community - but it feels almost as if I've alienated everybody somehow by doing this.

You are making the mistake of letting a hobby become work, that always drains the fun from it. :) I think you are making a very wise decision about taking a break.

And if the ECP should fail, then you should not take that personally, the internet is a very competitive place and sometimes you just don't get the chance you need.

Oh well. From this moment I'm going to stop worrying about this site for a week or two to recharge my batteries. I'm going to start sleeping at nights again, and see how that works.

Excellent. Do the work because you like it, not because you feel obligated to it.

Although I will say that the ECP needs at least an active admin to prevent premature death.

I am RKO
03-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Dairuka, if your losing sleep over it, then just stop.

Don't take things so seriously and find people that you can depend on to regularly contribute.

Repulse
03-02-2008, 11:15 AM
The problem really is that Wikis are great to get information from but not everyone likes contributing, in my opinion its going to be ten times harder to get people voluntarily contributing in a gaming forum, most of the members here are younger and prefer to gaming as to writing. I think that what we have at the moment is kinda unique the problems is that its not really noticed by that many of our members. Although the forums have near 70,000 members, we nearly only average around 500 members being logged in (or is that and over-estimation?), if we could get the member base to increase even more then we would likely see the wiki increase.

TheEn|gma
03-02-2008, 05:47 PM
It's about passion, Dairuka you clearly have it for the ECP others, including me don't have that much of a urge to write about games as you mentioned most people prefer just to play them.

I've only really contributed on things that I'm especially interested in/passion about, I suspect this is similar of others.