PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh, am I getting old already?

Wizrdwarts
02-14-2008, 07:30 PM
Or do I really hate Vista that much? Am I the only one who hates that transparency, Windows Flip, the glass,and the shininess of it all? When I made the transition from 98 to XP I liked the new style, but when Aero came out it looked awful to me. Aren't all those fancy effects Apple's job?

Also I am totally incompetent at MS Word 07, why is everything on different tabs? :confused:

[/rant]

By the time XP isn't supported, hopefully there'll be a better verison on Windows out. Or I'll switch to Linux. Who knows? :)

Sniper1432
02-14-2008, 08:46 PM
I had vista ultimate but the whole OS was just so frustrating for me.

Corkum
02-14-2008, 09:28 PM
Ubuntu is pretty awesome, no joke.

CaptainKirk
02-14-2008, 10:30 PM
I actually really like vista and office 07. If you have a specific question, I can probably explain it.

Namakan
02-14-2008, 11:14 PM
Ubuntu is pretty awesome, no joke.

I dual boot vista/ubuntu

The effects in Ubuntu are AMAZING

Oli
02-15-2008, 03:24 AM
I hate the fact Vista is CONSTANTLY updating and then takes about 6 million hours configuring the updates.

It doesn't say how long its going to be configuring updates so i have no idea whether i should start working on another PC.

Hawkers
02-15-2008, 03:38 AM
I like the style of vista, the glassy sexiness appeals to me!

=98=
02-15-2008, 05:15 AM
Vista is very sexy once you have spent a few hours tuning it to your liking. You need to get rid of all the safety mumbo jumbo such as UAC to make it smoother.

Office 07 isn't about looking better, i find it does actually speed up my working and makes carrying out tasks as i don't have to go through multiple task panes to find the option i want.

Dairuka
02-15-2008, 05:18 AM
Sexy it may be, but functional it is not.

I spent a whopping 20 minutes toying with XP's registry to fix a couple RAM hogs.

I spent around 8 hours fixing Vista's glaring flaws. Even now, I'm sure I've missed a lot, since it's still loading up like arse. I seriously haven't dealt with an overly bloated resource hog like this since loading up 64-bit NT.

=98=
02-15-2008, 05:23 AM
People said the same when they upgraded from 2000 to XP. They were amazed and horrified that you had to have 512mb or 1gb of RAM to effectively run it.

Dairuka
02-15-2008, 05:31 AM
I'm sure people have said the same about Windows 95 when upgrading from Windows 3.X - but in the case of Vista, when even 4gb of OCX Platinum brand Random Access Memory isn't enough to keep it running smoothly. - you realize you have a problem. I rolled back to windows XP, because I was completely frustrated with gaming compatibility issues, even after all the work I've done on tweaks and fixes. I'm using the same setup that I was using with Vista, and with XP as my operating system, OS related hitches are a rarity.

With that said. Windows XP has been tweaked and upgraded to the point where it's become an actually decent product. That is why to this day, I choose to keep it loaded on three of my four computers. Vista is only on one computer, and it's the family computer, not a gaming computer. (Despite it having Crysis installed.)

Vista is a resounding disappointment to me, on par with 98 Special Edition, Millennium Edition and 64-bit NT.

=98=
02-15-2008, 05:42 AM
If 4gb isn't enough to run it smoothly, then you have something wrong. With multiple programs open such as WMP, thunderbird, Firefox virus scanners, spyware scanners etc... and it usually only takes 30% aka 1gb ram.

I have never gone over 60% use, and thats when i had all those programs open and playing BF2

Dairuka
02-15-2008, 05:48 AM
Alex;1857271']If 4gb isn't enough to run it smoothly, then you have something wrong. With multiple programs open such as WMP, thunderbird, Firefox virus scanners, spyware scanners etc... and it usually only takes 30% aka 1gb ram.

I have never gone over 60% use, and thats when i had all those programs open and playing BF2

Indeed, there was something wrong. The problem was fixed.

I enjoy the familiarity of Windows XP. I enjoy the easy accessibility of things I've grown to rely on. I enjoy fast load up times for games. I enjoy being able to use Dos-Box to play games from the 80's. I enjoy choosing to tone down the graphics to the absolutely bare-bones look of Windows 95 for performance sake. I enjoy high FPS's in games. I enjoy playing games made four years ago, without annoying hitches caused by incompatibility. I enjoy not having to tweak every game, just to get it to run on my computer; something I might add, I haven't had to do since 98 Special Edition. Even ME got that right.

The problem was Vista.

I'm glad you like it, but in a free country, I choose to remain with XP until a better alternative is made. Vista isn't that better alternative, to me.

Scinto
02-15-2008, 06:17 AM
supposedly windows 7 is out end of this year start of next,

I hate the fact Vista is CONSTANTLY updating and then takes about 6 million hours configuring the updates.

It doesn't say how long its going to be configuring updates so i have no idea whether i should start working on another PC.

see sensible thing to is configure the updates so it notifys you about new ones but doesnt download them

Hellsent 2.0
02-15-2008, 07:34 AM
I'm sure people have said the same about Windows 95 when upgrading from Windows 3.X - but in the case of Vista, when even 4gb of OCX Platinum brand Random Access Memory isn't enough to keep it running smoothly. - you realize you have a problem. I rolled back to windows XP, because I was completely frustrated with gaming compatibility issues, even after all the work I've done on tweaks and fixes. I'm using the same setup that I was using with Vista, and with XP as my operating system, OS related hitches are a rarity.

With that said. Windows XP has been tweaked and upgraded to the point where it's become an actually decent product. That is why to this day, I choose to keep it loaded on three of my four computers. Vista is only on one computer, and it's the family computer, not a gaming computer. (Despite it having Crysis installed.)

Vista is a resounding disappointment to me, on par with 98 Special Edition, Millennium Edition and 64-bit NT.

I totally agree with you Dairuka. to the point of games not working and such...Im back to xp and love it...best thing about Vista ulitmate was Dreamscene...And that just made me go to the toilet since it was waterfalls...

camper.
02-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Sexy it may be, but functional it is not.

I spent a whopping 20 minutes toying with XP's registry to fix a couple RAM hogs.

I spent around 8 hours fixing Vista's glaring flaws. Even now, I'm sure I've missed a lot, since it's still loading up like arse. I seriously haven't dealt with an overly bloated resource hog like this since loading up 64-bit NT.

From start to finish, it takes me a whopping 45 minutes to restore some 8 years of personalisation (I'm no minimalist) on a fresh Vista install (which also takes roughly a quarter of the time to install).

It appears that you're doing something majorly wrong, or you have arthritis.

God bless Imagex™.