PDA

View Full Version : Question bordering piracy

Chris_Redfield
02-07-2008, 12:42 PM
So I have a problem. Dug up my BF2 DVD and it was horribly scratched. Installation unsuccessful. So I went and downloaded a pirated copy of BF2, installed using my CD key. At BF2 1.0, doubleclicking on the icon creates and error. Using DT to mount any kind of image, with any kind of anti-blacklisting tool doesnt help a bit. Using a ****** key fixed .exe file brought success. I got to play all 1.0 servers just fine.

Updated to patch 1.41. Fixed the problem with the serial key in registry. What happens is, doubleclicking on the icon results in no result. The mouse icon flashes the sandclock for a splitsecond and thats it. No kind of DVD image mounting with any kind of anti-blacklisting tool isnt helping. Using a 1.41 ****** fixed .exe brought success. I got to play all 1.41 servers just fine, but heres a kicker. After playing about 3-5 minutes on any server, PB kicks me for a corrupt file. Obviously a ****** exe file check.

The question is simple- even with an original and legit CD key, can you install BF2 without the original CD/DVD?

I understand that this question really borders piracy, so if you delete/lock it, I wont object. But Ive been google searching for the last 2 hours, aswell as trying a whole lot of solutions. No result.

Metal Knight
02-07-2008, 01:11 PM
hey chris,

i think unfortunately you will have to buy a new copy, and retrieve your account from there, i cant seem to think of anything you can do - as you seemed to have already tried what i would have suggested, sorry.

Good luck in finding an answer, hopefully someone else can be more helpful.

Chris_Redfield
02-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Well, I guess Im fvkced then.

Metal Knight
02-07-2008, 04:55 PM
can i ask, how it got so scratched? is it constant use?

i suppose i planned ahead as im using a mounted image to run the game, thus protecting my valuable DVD.

if *only* it could install, then you'd be fine, but EA as you probably know always insist spending their time on security over game quality.

for example in Battle for Middle-earth - there was this big problem i remember reading about when using a backup cd to run the game, the game would run fine but then at exactly 3 minutes and 30 seconds all your units would die and bulidings destroyed, so you lose.

they could have used that effort, time and money to sort out the many bugs in their game(s). not to mention they have stopped supporting Bf2

in the words of jeremy teh_pwnerer: "...EA sucks my balls..i think thats like what im saying pretty much, E is sucking this one ball and then the A is sucking the other ball, so the E and the A are just like sucking both my balls"

;D

Chris_Redfield
02-07-2008, 05:48 PM
I havent used the disk in like almost a year, it did get moved around a lot, its been with me in many different places. Today, opening it, gave me a nasty surprise. The disk is pretty much totaled as it wont even read it in. Theres a deep scratch through one entire side. I was just hoping, that its the CD key that is the most important part. It turns out, that youre really not just "buying a licence to use the software"...

Ive heard about the Battle For Middle Earth, they had something like that at the 10th minute aswell, where the enemy forces would just wipe you out. Part of the copy protection, they say. The game sucked *** anyway though :P

I wouldnt be half as worried, but none of my close friends has BF2 so Im pretty much fvcked. Getting in touch with EA about the problem has resulted in negative feedback for many people and I wont buy a new CD/DVD. Especially when I got the game half-free in exchange for another one.

Ive heard that people sell legit CD keys through E-bay, how the hell do they install theur games?

camper.
02-07-2008, 05:50 PM
You need to download the MDF/MDS version. You probably downloaded images that weren't *EXACT* clones of the DVD. Use a mini-image: http://files.filefront.com/bf2mini+sklrar/;5511132;/fileinfo.html

reynolddog
02-07-2008, 05:52 PM
I havent used the disk in like almost a year, it did get moved around a lot, its been with me in many different places. Today, opening it, gave me a nasty surprise. The disk is pretty much totaled as it wont even read it in. Theres a deep scratch through one entire side. I was just hoping, that its the CD key that is the most important part. It turns out, that youre really not just "buying a licence to use the software"...

Ive heard about the Battle For Middle Earth, they had something like that at the 10th minute aswell, where the enemy forces would just wipe you out. Part of the copy protection, they say. The game sucked *** anyway though :P

I wouldnt be half as worried, but none of my close friends has BF2 so Im pretty much fvcked. Getting in touch with EA about the problem has resulted in negative feedback for many people and I wont buy a new CD/DVD. Especially when I got the game half-free in exchange for another one.

Ive heard that people sell legit CD keys through E-bay, how the hell do they install theur games?

Go to a Movie rental place and ask them if they have a disk resurfacer (they have to... or else they must be renting lots of crappy movies) and ask if they can resurface your install disk. It should be free or a small fee of $2.

Chris_Redfield
02-07-2008, 06:35 PM
You need to download the MDF/MDS version. You probably downloaded images that weren't *EXACT* clones of the DVD. Use a mini-image: http://files.filefront.com/bf2mini+sklrar/;5511132;/fileinfo.html

Used it. No result.

Ive done quite a lot of research into the matter, and the final verdict is- its impossible. At least upon installation, you still need the original copy, of at least either the first CD, or the DVD. Theres also the method of copying the CDs with Securom 2/3 settings enabled. Anyway, I have one last ghetto method to try out (will try to outsmart PB), if that wont work, then Ill be contacting EA for a 13 dollar replacement disk, or just find someone I can loan the disk from.

Dog, I doubt theres such things around here.

reynolddog
02-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Used it. No result.

Ive done quite a lot of research into the matter, and the final verdict is- its impossible. At least upon installation, you still need the original copy, of at least either the first CD, or the DVD. Theres also the method of copying the CDs with Securom 2/3 settings enabled. Anyway, I have one last ghetto method to try out (will try to outsmart PB), if that wont work, then Ill be contacting EA for a 13 dollar replacement disk, or just find someone I can loan the disk from.

Serious? No blockbusters,movie gallery? You HAVE to have a Movie rental place somewhere.

camper.
02-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Used it. No result.

Uh, something is wrong on your end because I've been using that image the past year and half. You might try the image off gamecopyworld (same name) which is the original. I just freshly installed Windows and Daemon Tools and it works fine.

Chris_Redfield
02-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Serious? No blockbusters,movie gallery? You HAVE to have a Movie rental place somewhere.

No. Meaning- we dont have such services around here. Our DVD rentals are just that, DVD rentals. Nothing fancy. Theres probably some shops that I can have a look-see at.

Camper. You dont understand. Ive only got the legit CD key. The DVD is busted. Gone. I cant install using a pirated DVD, even though Ive got a legal key. It installs fine, but will not run unless I replace the .exe file with a ****** exe file, which is detected by PB and will kick for it. Using a mounted image file will result in nothing since the very installation is "bad".

Pretty much the things I havent tried yet.

- Installation from a pirated 3 CD set
- Using someone elses .exe file

If these two are exhausted, Ive officially tried every means possible there is, to install BF2 with an original key but without original media carrier.

Verzili
02-07-2008, 07:13 PM
chris i use a a special forces *** (mounted with deamon tools) to play bf2 and SF

never need my disk,only for installs..

but i use copy of that to with my original key.

tip dont use ******/dvd.exe cracks ever!!

always use a *** or mini image.

my tip you you would be unistall bf2

1.install bf2 from a ***(disk image) DVD image not cdx3 set!!!

2.use youre original key.

3.unmount the the bf2 ***(dont use a mini image to install the game)

4.patch to 1.4(unless you have SF then install that 1st

5.mount a SF mini image (gamecopy world ect)

6.after reboots some versions of demon tools dont have the image loaded,so check you virtual drives are loaded 1st.

7.play the game :)

a full *** of of bf2 is about 2gb,but a mini image download is a few hundred kb,but when extracted it's the same size on disk (fake 2gb if you like)

i have lots of space so i just leave a full *** of SF mounted for bf2.

hope this helps m8

Chris_Redfield
02-07-2008, 07:18 PM
chris i use a a special forces *** (mounted with deamon tools) to play bf2 and SF

never need my disk,only for installs..

but i use copy of that to with my original key.

tip dont use ******/dvd.exe cracks ever!!

always use a *** or mini image.

my tip you you would be unistall bf2

1.install bf2 from a ***(disk image) DVD image not cdx3 set!!!

2.use youre original key.

3.unmount the the bf2 ***(dont use a mini image to install the game)

4.patch to 1.4(unless you have SF then install that 1st

5.mount a SF mini image (gamecopy world ect)

6.after reboots some versions of demon tools dont have the image loaded,so check you virtual drives are loaded 1st.

7.play the game :)

a full *** of of bf2 is about 2gb,but a mini image download is a few hundred kb,but when extracted it's the same size on disk (fake 2gb if you like)

i have lots of space so i just leave a full *** of SF mounted for bf2.

hope this helps m8

But heres the thing. Have you tried installing with the copy of your DVD, or have you only ever installed with the original DVD?

Metal Knight
02-07-2008, 09:32 PM
hey again chris,

sorry for late reply. mmhm only "cheap" way i can think of, is buying one secondhand off ebay and using ur cd key to install/play it.

because basically what u need is to install it right? the problem isnt playing, i understand that.

i really cant think of another free way to do it, apart from downloading it and then using that copy to install the game...but you've already done that.

hmmm =/

Chris_Redfield
02-07-2008, 11:05 PM
Verzili has give his hand in help and opened up a few extra options. I just amassed a group of BF2 downloads to try them out. From what I gather up, my problem was using *** file as an installation file. *** files dont have the data errors, which is what SafeDisk is using. Ill go through them first.

reynolddog
02-08-2008, 12:58 AM
No. Meaning- we dont have such services around here. Our DVD rentals are just that, DVD rentals. Nothing fancy. Theres probably some shops that I can have a look-see at.

Camper. You dont understand. Ive only got the legit CD key. The DVD is busted. Gone. I cant install using a pirated DVD, even though Ive got a legal key. It installs fine, but will not run unless I replace the .exe file with a ****** exe file, which is detected by PB and will kick for it. Using a mounted image file will result in nothing since the very installation is "bad".

Pretty much the things I havent tried yet.

- Installation from a pirated 3 CD set
- Using someone elses .exe file

If these two are exhausted, Ive officially tried every means possible there is, to install BF2 with an original key but without original media carrier.

Yah they don't have a big poster saying "DVD/CD repair" I went to sell some games the other day and he asked if i wanted them resurfaced, i said sure. They have to have one or else they will be throwing away alot of returned scratched DVD's/games/etc.

Chris_Redfield
02-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Ok, through a freak of nature coincidence I managed to get a hold of an original BF2 DVD. Installed.

The exact same thing. .exe file is unresponsive.

Format HDD?

Stormy{CAN}
02-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Before going that far I would start with a complete uninstall of BF2,

http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=8986&p_created=1119312427&p_sid=fqyIXOXi&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfc m93X2NudD01MDQsNTA0JnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0 mcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ub CZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PWJmMiB1bmluc3RhbGw *&p_li=&p_topview=1

Metal Knight
02-08-2008, 12:00 PM
yeah i agree with stormy, also make sure you clean all registry entries fully mate

Chris_Redfield
02-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Nope. Same thing.

Ill be waving the white flag now. I do have a theory though. About a month or so ago, I accidentally changed some folder settings. This screwed up my MediaPlayer folder listings for example. Could have very well affect BF2 aswell. Ive already backed up my crap and a fresh format was long overdue.

Metal Knight
02-08-2008, 06:24 PM
well then, good luck to you dude. I hope with the fresh system comes a working Bf2 =D

Chris_Redfield
02-09-2008, 12:42 PM
YEAH! I FIXED IT! Without a format! Haha, me so happy.

Metal Knight
02-09-2008, 12:52 PM
YEAH! I FIXED IT! Without a format! Haha, me so happy.

oh really? thats awesome! how did you fix it? very impressed with that :)

Chris_Redfield
02-09-2008, 01:08 PM
I ditched my old XP account and created a new one. Problem solved. Who knew. Low brow solutions are awesome. I was just about to format, when I figured that maybe the problem was indeed caused by the same thing that caused my Media Players library to become non-functional. Created a new account, reinstalled MP, re-searched the songs, library was functional. Reinstalled BF2, doubleclicked on the icon, and instead of throwing me an error, it spun the DVD and I went in.

Holy crap, 3 nights of fooling around and the solution was just 3 minutes of work...

Metal Knight
02-09-2008, 09:25 PM
lol hahaha, ah good old easy soultions, im glad it all worked out for you, sorry i wasnt of much help.

Enjoy!

Verzili
02-10-2008, 04:58 PM
glad you got it sorted m8,didnt think of that one but i gave you the basics with *** ect.

lets hope you enjoy bf2 now with all the hardwork you put in :)

MatTheCat
02-11-2008, 11:19 PM
The question is simple- even with an original and legit CD key, can you install BF2 without the original CD/DVD?

YES, YOU CAN, I KNOW COS THAT IS WHAT I DONE.

MY original DVD got a crack right down the middle of it till the day came that it wouldn't install or run no more.

Therefore, I downlaoded an image file of BF2, used my DVD key.....and all his well.

Only thing u need is the DVD Mini Image which should be mounted alongside the virtual DVD on Daemon tools (or any of the other ones). If you have trouble sourcing the MDS file that will allow you to do this....PM me.